USSC 6041 Noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

djamwolfe

Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2006
S.E. Michigan
Hello everyone, haven't posted here in a real long time.

Just got my USSC 6041 installed and getting the first test burn going. I have the room fan on high, and this thing whistles like a train! I tried adjusting the louvers hoping it would help, but so far nothing has worked. It quiets down at a room fan of 3, but anything above that is annoyingly loud.

Devon

This is a known problem USSC 6039 and 6041.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/small-wood-pellet-corn-stove.172820/

Three options to stop the whistle 1. remove the louver assembly and leave it off (I think this is the best option as it also lets air push further into the room), 2. Remove louver assembly turn it upside down and reattach, (top to bottom, bottom to top), 3. Remove louver assembly apply thin coat of high temp rv silicone to back of louvers and reattach, (this is the USSC recommended fix).

louver assembly.png

This is a known problem USSC 6039 and 6041.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/small-wood-pellet-corn-stove.172820/

Three options to stop the whistle 1. remove the louver assembly and leave it off (I think this is the best option as it also lets air push further into the room), 2. Remove louver assembly turn it upside down and reattach, (top to bottom, bottom to top), 3. Remove louver assembly apply thin coat of high temp rv silicone to back of louvers and reattach, (this is the USSC recommended fix).

louver assembly.png
Or do like my wife and I did and just get used to it and enjoy the heat!

Reactions: ARC
Well, I pulled off the louvers and it actually made it worse... I might call USSC on Monday and see if I can enlarge the holes or something. I think this stove is going be great, but the whistling is more than annoying.

Just in case anyone is wondering this is how it sounds on high with the louvers on - its worse with the louvers off.... Sounds like a jet engine!!

Reactions: FirepotPete and ARC
With the louvers off try wedging a piece of aluminum foil in the screw hole and the lower right and left corners of the louver slot. I had a crack were the two pieces of sheet metal meet in lower right corner that whistled. I now have orange rv silicone in the crack. To find were the whistle was coming from I made a golf ball size of foil and moved it around louver area blocking the flow. As stated mine was lower right of louver area were sheet metal meet and a little from the screw holes holding the louvers on.

louver.jpg

Update - I ended up moving the louvers around and got the noise to mostly stop. Thank you all for your advice!

Reactions: ARC