USSC 6500 Mode button question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
I currently have a USSC 6500. I have looked through all their manuals and have made a number of setting adjustments. It now seems to be running well, but I don't like that the exhaust fan pulses constantly. It makes it somewhat difficult to get a consistent good flame and I get soot on my glass very quickly. It is my understanding that this is normal operation for this stove.

I can switch the mode button on the control panel from Auto to Manual. This makes the draft motor run on high and I can control airflow with the burn chamber damper. What I am unclear about it what all the the Auto to Manual change do for other functions?

In my dream world I would like the exhaust fan to run constant, but have all the other settings run in Automatic mode. I am not sure if this is how it works or if even possible.

This is what my manual says:
"The draft fan (exhaust) will come on as soon as the “ON” button is pressed. The fan will automatically adjust its speed in accordance to the heat range setting. However, this speed can be manually operated by pressing the “Draft Fan” arrows up or down. “Draft Fan” when pressed, the display will show “Df-A”, which is automatic. Press the arrows again to adjust fan speed. When the furnace is in the manual mode, the optional thermostat will not properly control the unit. When adjusting the Draft Fan setting, try only 1 setting above or below the heat setting."

and

The “Mode” button is used to switch between manual and automatic mode. When in auto mode, the fans, auger, and agitator will operate at preset intervals unless changed manually using the buttons mentioned above. When in manual mode, the draft fan (exhaust) will operate at full speed (100%), so the air must be controlled with the damper just below the viewing door.

When the furnace is in the manual mode, the optional thermostat will not properly control the unit
I don't like that the exhaust fan pulses constantly.
The stove is designed to pulse until it reaches set temperature, it is "suppose" to give you a cleaner burn.

Do you have the optional thermostat? On the USSC 6100, 6039 and 6041 all the manual mode does is turns the draft fan on high constantly. It does not effect any other settings. It does not effect a remote thermostat, I am unsure of what optional thermostat the 6500 manual is referring to. Below is the hook up for remote thermostat on the 6100 is it the same on the 6500? With the draft on constant high you will be losing a little bit of heat as some more then usual will be pushed out the exhaust. The best thing you could do is ignore it and soon you will be used to the pulsing.

5nlzj4.jpg

The stove is designed to pulse until it reaches set temperature, it is "suppose" to give you a cleaner burn.

Do you have the optional thermostat? On the USSC 6100, 6039 and 6041 all the manual mode does is turns the draft fan on high constantly. It does not effect any other settings. It does not effect a remote thermostat, I am unsure of what optional thermostat the 6500 manual is referring to. Below is the hook up for remote thermostat on the 6100 is it the same on the 6500? With the draft on constant high you will be losing a little bit of heat as some more then usual will be pushed out the exhaust. The best thing you could do is ignore it and soon you will be used to the pulsing.

View attachment 284178
The picture is the exact way I hooked up a thermostat to my 6500.

The pulsing isn’t too bad, just trying to think of ways to make it burn more efficiently. As far as the draft fan pulsing until it comes up to temp, mine must never reach temp because it always pulses unless I put it on manual.