USSC STOVE, Ashley Model APC1406 lights and runs for about 10 to 20 minutes and shuts down, no error

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FouMan

Jan 6, 2015
poughkeepsie
I installed a new vacuum switch after i found the auger would not turn when stove was started. Stove starts, good flame, room fan comes on and then Fire goes down, maybe auger stops, to much black smoke to see if pellets are falling into burn pot. Exhaust fan and duck just cleaned today with brush. I suspect high or low limit switches and have ordered new replacements. My first time posting, stove is Tractor Supply economy purchase, lol. Welcome any advice or suggestions to troubleshoot.

Make sure the stove is not in corn mode if you are burning wood pellets only.

Make sure the stove is not in corn mode if you are burning wood pellets only.

I am burning wood pellets, but it says in the manual you can run the stove in corn mode and igniter will last longer. Says only diff is for auto ignition you must first fill burn pot above igniter to start. Can you say why Not to burn wood pellets on corn mode?

OK.

Pellets -- Long pellets / fines (wood dust) -- Pellet / dust 'bridge' in hopper - this is like a dam and stop pellets from falling / sliding in the hopper and therefore leads to a dead spot and fire goes out due to the lack of fuel. Clean out hopper, vacuum wood dust out, refill hopper with pellets.

Black smoke -- lack of air flow or too much fuel in burn pot - Recheck all vents are clear / clean.

Set the stove on a higher heat setting, see if the result is the same.

Pellets -- could be a bad batch of pellets, can happen, had it here -- wet / damp pellets.

OK.

Pellets -- Long pellets / fines (wood dust) -- Pellet / dust 'bridge' in hopper - this is like a dam and stop pellets from falling / sliding in the hopper and therefore leads to a dead spot and fire goes out due to the lack of fuel. Clean out hopper, vacuum wood dust out, refill hopper with pellets.

Black smoke -- lack of air flow or too much fuel in burn pot - Recheck all vents are clear / clean.

Set the stove on a higher heat setting, see if the result is the same.

Pellets -- could be a bad batch of pellets, can happen, had it here -- wet / damp pellets.

Ok thanks. I will try cleaning the hopper and I want to check the auger for dust or clogged. I clean vent pipe and installed a new gasket & cleaned combustion fan very recently. I will check for more air to. Thanks for your help!

I am burning wood pellets, but it says in the manual you can run the stove in corn mode and igniter will last longer. Says only diff is for auto ignition you must first fill burn pot above igniter to start. Can you say why Not to burn wood pellets on corn mode?
Air to fuel ratio is different

I installed a new vacuum switch after i found the auger would not turn when stove was started. Stove starts, good flame, room fan comes on and then Fire goes down, maybe auger stops, to much black smoke to see if pellets are falling into burn pot. Exhaust fan and duck just cleaned today with brush. I suspect high or low limit switches and have ordered new replacements. My first time posting, stove is Tractor Supply economy purchase, lol. Welcome any advice or suggestions to troubleshoot.
Low limit would be likely suspect on that. You can jump the lead to that switch to see if that gets it to run. If it does then the switch is bad. On the high limit on that unit you would just unplug one of the leads, to test the switch

Status
Not open for further replies.