UTV Choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood1Dennis

Burning Hunk
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern Wisconsin
So, I am looking for a side by side UTV to haul firewood but also for ward work and snow plowing and maybe some trail riding. I know Polaris makes a good machine, in my younger days I always rode Polaris snowmobiles so I am kind of partial to the Polaris Ranger line.
However, I did look at an Intimidator Classic at Cabela's last night. I think I can get one for less than the name brand stuff and it looks like a solid machine with a Kohler engine. Anyone on this forum have any experience with these machines? How do you like them, any problems?

So, I am looking for a side by side UTV to haul firewood but also for ward work and snow plowing and maybe some trail riding. I know Polaris makes a good machine, in my younger days I always rode Polaris snowmobiles so I am kind of partial to the Polaris Ranger line.
However, I did look at an Intimidator Classic at Cabela's last night. I think I can get one for less than the name brand stuff and it looks like a solid machine with a Kohler engine. Anyone on this forum have any experience with these machines? How do you like them, any problems?

I bought a 2011 Polaris Ranger 500 EFI in 2014. I would have to go check on miles to be sure but its got lots of miles. Some were pretty hard miles. I pull logs with it, cut and haul firewood, snowplow the neighborhood, let the grandkids abuse the crap out of it. Son takes it gold panning and fishing over some pretty tough mountain trails and some no trails, etc. Just had to do my first repair. had to replace a $50.00 cv front axle and weld a brace on the frame where the front transaxle bolts. Both repairs were due to not noticing the front diff bolts had become loose. Cant say enough good about it. I use it almost daily to get my mail as our mail is in a group mailbox area uphill from my home. Almost forgot had to replace the tires in it last year ($500). Nothing else but gas and oil once a year. Even has the original battery.

My folks have a Ranger & JD Gator for use around the farm the Gator gets used the most. They both get abused by the grandkids & my brother choring. The Gator is an 825, Ranger is equivalent in size not sure of the model. I have always been a Polaris fan (snowmobiles & ATV’s) & am by no means a Deere fan but I have been looking into Gators. Load height is lower on the Gator, Gator is quieter & seems to work better for pulling & towing. The Ranger seems to ride a little better. My mother is 63 & prefers the Gator for yard work, she has never cared for the Ranger. The Gator was bought used & has had minimal repair done to it, the Ranger was new & has a new engine & lots of little bugs. But as with all things there may be an occasional melon. Seems to me that Gator 625 & 825 are very similar in price with most 625’s bringing more money around here anyway. My neighbor just bought a new Ranger with power windows, heat & a/c:rolleyes:. I told the wife that we can buy a used Ford Escape remove the doors & windows & save $8k & have the same thing. Old Mitsubishi Montero or Suzuki Sidekick would be the same principle, probably a better choice. Plus the Gator fits in the back of my pickup.

Attachments

• 15233648-A6E9-42C1-B669-160E6C692366.jpeg
    15233648-A6E9-42C1-B669-160E6C692366.jpeg
    120.9 KB · Views: 326
My folks have a Ranger & JD Gator for use around the farm the Gator gets used the most. They both get abused by the grandkids & my brother choring. The Gator is an 825, Ranger is equivalent in size not sure of the model. I have always been a Polaris fan (snowmobiles & ATV’s) & am by no means a Deere fan but I have been looking into Gators. Load height is lower on the Gator, Gator is quieter & seems to work better for pulling & towing. The Ranger seems to ride a little better. My mother is 63 & prefers the Gator for yard work, she has never cared for the Ranger. The Gator was bought used & has had minimal repair done to it, the Ranger was new & has a new engine & lots of little bugs. But as with all things there may be an occasional melon. Seems to me that Gator 625 & 825 are very similar in price with most 625’s bringing more money around here anyway. My neighbor just bought a new Ranger with power windows, heat & a/c:rolleyes:. I told the wife that we can buy a used Ford Escape remove the doors & windows & save $8k & have the same thing. Old Mitsubishi Montero or Suzuki Sidekick would be the same principle, probably a better choice. Plus the Gator fits in the back of my pickup.

My neighbor bought a new Kubota diesel side by side which I think is similar. Thirty something thousand. Should have named it the slug. Very close to a tractor and almost as fun. Top speed is around 25 downhill and you don't have to worry about getting a nosebleed from the acceleration. I honestly wouldn't trade my used 2011 Ranger for it that I paid 5 grand for four years ago. Not counting the difference in money worth of course. Try following my Ranger up the side of a mountain in your Ford escape.

Last edited:
It really depends on your needs and wants I looked at pretty much every brand when I was buying for work and value wise the Kubota won out.

We paid 18k for a RTV-1100, no it's not fast but 20mph is plenty for the college campus we're using it on. The biggest part was most equipment was standard on the 1100 was extra on other brands the only options we got were a light kit but it came with a cab, heat, a/c, power steering, hydraulic bed lift, and rear locker. JD, Bobcat, Polaris, Can Am, etc were all similarly priced with the same options.

I work on them for people, in the club, wouldn't buy Polaris they have overheating and stupid design issues, wouldn't buy the Kubota/ they are slow and heavy, we have a lot of mud and snow. I think the best ones are kawi tyrex and can am for fun and work ability, anything japanesee would be never have to mess with it machines
why I bought my rhino built like a brick poop house. one time the guy with a ranger and sportsman asked me for a tool I said why would I carry those? I carry trail cutting stuff and beverages

I bought a new Kubota rtvx-900 about a year ago. It’s a diesel and i paid around 15k for it. I like the machine for working on the farm, yard, hauling firewood ect. It is absolutely slow but strong as an ox. I wouldn’t hesitate to look at them if you are buying one for a work machine. If you want something to trail ride in on the weekends better look elsewhere.
425769bf8c33893844667e94d7297bc6.jpg
e0d6d8d564dea6ffd9b544478e5f988c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I work on them for people, in the club, wouldn't buy Polaris they have overheating and stupid design issues, wouldn't buy the Kubota/ they are slow and heavy, we have a lot of mud and snow. I think the best ones are kawi tyrex and can am for fun and work ability, anything japanesee would be never have to mess with it machines
why I bought my rhino built like a brick poop house. one time the guy with a ranger and sportsman asked me for a tool I said why would I carry those? I carry trail cutting stuff and beverages

I thought Can Am was a Polaris.

I wanted to do more trail riding as well so I upgraded.....Look no further than the Polaris General 1000, ultimate work / play machine especially if you're partial to Polaris

I went from a 2012 Ranger 800 XP to the 2018 General Deluxe

Some Pros;
100 HP, 46 more than the Ranger

The power band in low gear alone is amazing, 0 to 35 or so. (top speed 75 in high) Ranger in low gear was 0 to 15...maybe.

Some cons;

The dump bed only holds about half the wood the Ranger did....so this means I'll need to buy trailer to haul wood out.

I now have a payment again for a few years.

They have about 4 different models ranging from 15k to 25k...good thing is they all have the same engine so you're just paying for bells and whistles as you move up the ladder

da63a312b17292b10d5df70ec2b17a7f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I thought Can Am was a Polaris.

nope, polaris is an american company, can am is a canadian company that bought bombadier mid 2000s. they have the best trail and work combination machines if you look at what you for the money, way better engineered than any polaris. ive have to fix a number of razers over heating and they put all the important crap right were mud is going to lay on it and thats in the start circuit. suspension breaks, wheels fall off.

if i was going to buy a new one it would be a kawasaki tyrex two 800 or can am defender 2 hd8, they are reliable well engineered for work as well as play, once you actually check them out.

When it comes to powersports, I'm a die hard Japanese manufacurer fan. They make a bullet proof product and have superior electrics. Lots of people buy very expensive, powerful but poorly constructed atvs/utvs/snowmobiles...whatever..and don't care, because they trade them in every 2 years. Lots of them are junk and depreciate in value like crazy! Paying $18k for something and then having it worth $9k in two years is not a great idea.

If you plan on keeping it for a very long time, like I keep my stuff, look to japanese powersports. Honda, Yamaha and Suki all make great stuff that lasts a very long time. I'd recommend buying 2 years old, no matter the brand, and let someone else get soaked on the depreciation.

There is always an older guy that buys an amazing machine and keeps it in his garage for 2 years, only to sell it in mint condition. Buy from that guy.

I'm not knocking all other brands. As an engineer and someone who has been in manufacturing my entire life, who works on everything myself, I like what I see with the big Japanese brands.
For high quality quads back in the 80s and 90s, Honda was pretty much the only game in town. Now Yamaha and Suzuki have really picked up their game. I don't have any personal experience with Kawasaki, so I really can't recommend them.

nope, polaris is an american company, can am is a canadian company that bought bombadier mid 2000s. they have the best trail and work combination machines if you look at what you for the money, way better engineered than any polaris. ive have to fix a number of razers over heating and they put all the important crap right were mud is going to lay on it and thats in the start circuit. suspension breaks, wheels fall off.

if i was going to buy a new one it would be a kawasaki tyrex two 800 or can am defender 2 hd8, they are reliable well engineered for work as well as play, once you actually check them out.
It's simple math....Polaris owns 41% of the UTV market....Can't - Am has a measly 13%...when you sell 3 times more machines then your nearest competitor you are going to see 3 times the number of repairs.
Polaris rules for a reason...
ade81d1b5d15db1cab635d090b825103.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: coltbean
I have owned a variety of atv brands. I currently have a 2006 sportsman 500 and it has been a tank. For a long time now, for many reasons, I have been a polaris fan and always thought I would buy a ranger. However, I think from talking with a few people, a lot of reading, and a bad experience a buddy has had with a 2 year old ranger, I do not think I would buy one anymore. He has always been a polaris guy too, and loved his other polaris machines. This one turned him off.
I have doing the debate and research myself and I think I would buy a honda for fun and work and a kubota for just work. But if i were buying a machine just for work and didn't care about speed, I would buy a kubota tractor. Just my opinion from what I and people I know have owned.

Reactions: JimBear
they sell more just means they have better pr and salesman, they also price them way less. you get what you pay for. I have a pic I will post later pretty much says everything, frequent end to my groups rides when most of them had Polaris(in the back of my rhino) most of those guys have bought can ams now. they are pretty decent but need a little fixing, we have real bad mud here and it really proves whether a machine is going to be good or not. we ride a ton and there are 70 people in my club, have seen and worked on quite a few too. Honda is the most reliable but most expensive and boring. rest of jap brands close second. but they are more exciting on the trail, can am would be after just because they are more prone to breakage they have way more power, also my trail bike, worth the limited fixes. artic and Polaris have had the most break downs

million different machines, just because everyone has things that are most important to just them, have to decide whats most important and find one fits the bill. if you are just going to put around never on the trail a Kubota or mule probably the thing

Reactions: firefighterjake
they sell more just means they have better pr and salesman, they also price them way less. you get what you pay for. I have a pic I will post later pretty much says everything, frequent end to my groups rides when most of them had Polaris(in the back of my rhino) most of those guys have bought can ams now. they are pretty decent but need a little fixing, we have real bad mud here and it really proves whether a machine is going to be good or not. we ride a ton and there are 70 people in my club, have seen and worked on quite a few too. Honda is the most reliable but most expensive and boring. rest of jap brands close second. but they are more exciting on the trail, can am would be after just because they are more prone to breakage they have way more power, also my trail bike, worth the limited fixes. artic and Polaris have had the most break downs

million different machines, just because everyone has things that are most important to just them, have to decide whats most important and find one fits the bill. if you are just going to put around never on the trail a Kubota or mule probably the thing

I am not partial to any brand. Ive only owned 1 atv or utv but your description of Polaris is not even in the neighborhood of my experience. You should add a footnote to your badmouthing Polaris that says sometimes they are incredibly reliable, take tons of neglect and abuse.

posting my experience in my area, i did say that. if you live in a dry area might be better.they have the brake sensor (wont start wet) right on the skid plate so any mud sits right there, alot of over heating too, the japaneese ones are much larger rads than they need so when you partially fill it still works good enough, not polaris. alot of broke suspension and frame issues. a few of the guys with new sportsmans had the tires come off due to control arm or ball joint breakage.

there are people that money is the most important thing, the people that still have them is, they dont care if they have to fix it if they paid less to begin with. i am not though, reliability and fun in the mud are the most important things to me and if i have to pay a little more to get better machine im going to

Last edited:
In the mid 2000s I think Polaris was as good as you could get. I might be mistaken but the sportsman line was the most sold 4x4 models. The rangers were great and super reliable as well. But I know more than just the guy I mentioned above that have bought newer Polaris models and have not been happy with quality. One guy even went back to dealer to get the ranger he traded in back. I just think when Polaris was still trying to make a name, that made great machines with good new technology and good quality. As popularity has increased, they have sacrificed quality for quantity, as many manufacturers do. A shame since I still love my sportsman

Just my opinion based on riding ATVs since the mid 1990s . . . and being a Club President and knowing who has had problems and who has not had problems with their ATVs . . .

Random thoughts . . .

-- All ATVs break eventually . . . it's the nature of the game . . . but some definitely break more often or more often have major issues vs. minor issues.

-- To answer the OP's question . . . I do not have direct experience with the side by side sold by Cabelas, but personally I would recommend sticking with a more mainstream side by side (i.e. Honda, Yamaha, CanAm, Polaris, etc.) from the simple fact that most of these off brand side by sides are Chinese made (or Chinese made and assembled in the USA) and the quality is often suspect. They often mimic the mainstream brands, but much like buying an off brand saw or splitter, you get what you pay for in terms of quality. The real issue for me would be a) how do I get parts because I'm pretty sure Cabelas will not be stocking parts and b) who do I take it to if and when it breaks?

Several years ago one of our Club members got what she thought was a really good deal on some Chinese made ATVs. She had many issues with them and I don't think they lasted more than 2 or 3 years. I would rather spend a little more money and get something much better for long term use myself.

-- It wasn't asked, but folks have started talking about experiences and pros- and cons- of other brands. Here are a few of my opinions . . .

Polaris: I see a lot of Polaris ATVs and side by sides. Truthfully, I think they have some of the best styling and have a pulse on what consumers want to buy -- whether it is a two up ATV, affordable ATV, sporty side by side (Razr) or pure utility side by side (Ranger). They also have one of -- if not the best rides. Great colors and they pack a lot of very cool features in their machines. Prices are also generally pretty decent compared to many other brands and their performance ranks among the best . . . but . . . personal experience is that they tend to break more often (albeit mostly minor issues.) Some of their engineering choices stymie me . . . one reason I opted to not go with Polaris for last year's ATV purchase was with their decision to put the exposed battery down low near the front of the ATV where it seemed to me it would quickly get submerged in mud and exposed to the elements.

Honda: Honda = reliability. Plain and simple. These ATVs are near bullet proof unless they get some age or you abuse them. That said, you will pay for the reliability as they are quite expensive for what they are. They often lag behind other manufacturers when it comes to the bells and whistles such as power steering, independent rear suspension, true automatics, etc. . . . and when you compare apples to apples or ATVs to ATVs you will often find Hondas are more expensive, have less power and fewer features than comparable models. That said . . . these machines are meant to work and I truly believe they are some of the most reliable quads and side by sides you can buy.

Kubota, Deere, etc: This is a time when you really have to decide what you want. These machines can be quite good . . . quite good at what they are designed to do. Take a long hard look at your terrain. Having seen these types of side by sides in action I can say they can be very reliable, but generally they are not fast or a whole lot of fun on a trail. More over their ground clearance is generally not as good as other brands. The fire department where I work has a diesel Kubota which has been extremely reliable . . . but it has also been stuck before on more than one occasion when it has been used off road -- in some locations with more or less flat terrain or terrain where ground clearance is not as much of an issue this may not be a problem. What I've found is that the Kubota is excellent for use at our state fair, walking trails in the city and at the concerts . . . it is not as good for wildland firefighting which is why the fire department is now looking at possibly getting a Polaris for a second side by side.

Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki: I more or less lump these together. I've found the reliability to be close to the Honda and a bit better than the Polaris line up. Features tend to be decent. Prices tend to be a bit more than Polaris, but cheaper than the Hondas. Styling varies and is of course a personal choice, but I think they look pretty good as a rule.

CanAm: Honestly I only know one guy who has a CanAm, so my experience here is limited. He likes it . . . it's a two up with gobs of power. He has had some issues -- very minor issues though -- and I suspect if asked he would say he would buy another one if push came to shove.

-- Final thought . . . as someone else asked, the biggest question you have to ask yourself is what you plan to do or want to do . . . and where do you want to go . . . and what do you value? For example, if I value reliability over speed, design and features and plan to do some trail riding along with work I would lean heavily towards the Honda. If I was going to do nearly all work and the terrain worked I would go with a Kubota, Deere, etc. If I was going to do more trail riding than work and valued the ride I might go with the Polaris line up.

One consideration . . . if you are looking at the Cabelas side by side due to the cost difference vs. Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki, etc. . . . you may wish to consider a traditional utility ATV. With my old Honda Foreman (and now Yamaha Kodiak) I pretty much use it for the exact same uses you mentioned: hauling firewood, plowing snow, yardwork and trail riding. There are some trade offs -- seating position, use of a thumb throttle vs. foot throttle, not enclosed, no side by side seating for a second passenger, but the cost is generally much cheaper and they tend to be more maneuverable.

20160911_101722.jpg

20161218_105541.jpg
feel the same about everything you said. i just want to add, everyone thats had a grizz or sportsman around here (we had a ton, now there is one grizz and one new sportsman) they all went to can am. they ride like a grizz, but have twice the power. and they also handle like my old sra prairie, you can steer with the throttle its smooth and predictable like a sporty machine. way better in the hills too the grizz always feels like its going to tip over even on flat ground. its a long machine but it doesnt feel like it, the only thing we have more of than mud is trees

another reason i got the rhino, is not much wider than a quad

Last edited:
the fixes i had are the same as alot of new quads, but 6-7k out the door seemed worth it, the lower models dont have covers for the sides of the rad or metal bumpers, but they do have metal racks, almost impossible to find, xt bumpers and inner sheilds where 200 on ebay. everything is plastic junk on the bottom, have to get aluminum under armor, same as any other im sure. they are super lean and you need to get a programer or dobeck ejk, that was what i got was only 200 and i can change the map by just hitting a few buttons. without that they run way too hot, now i can go all day without having to clean the rad.

so maybe a thousand with the tires and i have a machine thats a million times better than the yamaha and kawi stuff i was looking at originally for about 3k less out the door

I do a lot of work on atv and utv. I will say I work on Polaris ranger more than anything. Polaris makes a lot of nice machines but there quality and reliability is not there. The general is the exact machine I have been wanting but I personally won't buy a polaris. I can't say anything about can am cause I haven't been around them enough. I would stick to the Japanese atv and side by sides. Some of them may be a little dated on options compared to others but there reliability is as good as you can get.

Reactions: sportbikerider78
A SxS has been on my radar for a little while now but still not quite at the top of the priority list. But I've been looking at them all for a long time - and for my wants, I would get a Honda Pioneer 4 seater. Not sure on 700 vs. 1000, it's a big step up in price. But the 4 seater thing they have going on trumps them all, in a still somewhat compact package - if we have friends who would want to tag along for a nice trail ride, the seats are there. If not, they fold down & you have your bed. Plus, well, it's a Honda - which we are in deep here on the vehicle situation, with no plans to go anywhere else.

It all comes down a full assessment of wants & needs. And maybe throw in the local dealer situation. The second choice for me, would be between a Kawi Teryx, or Can-Am. I would avoid Kubota (even with good local dealer) or JD simply because of trail use & speed limitations - but that's our situation.

Most Polaris are made in Mexico with an American engine. I don't want anything I'm paying $15k for assembled in Mexico. Having lived in manufacturing facilities my entire life, I am biased.

Hondas have Japanese content but are built in South Carolina. Yamahas in the South as well.

So if you want to support USA production, get a Japanese ATV. LOL :)

If you want to use it to pull big loads. Get the biggest engine you can.

I have never regretted getting the 700 in my Grizzly atv. That thing pulls trailered 1000lb loads out of the muddy woods over logs, uphill, like it was born for it. And I do that regularly.

Last edited:
The only with Honda pioneer 1000 is they have a heat issue. They get hot in the cab and if you go through any water the hot steam gets in the cab and especially the back seat. Supposedly Honda is not selling any it side by sides until they get the issues fixes. That's what a dealer told my uncle. I have been around the pioneer 1000 a little and it will take a beating and keep going. Hopefully they get the heat issues fixes.

the can am 6x6 sounds pretty cool too, seems like it would be great for mud or hills too. you can get tracks, bet it would be a tank in anything. they have a bed for stuff kinda like a utv but trail width