Vacu-stack cap size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tinytorpedo

Feb 8, 2014
Illinois
I have a wood furnace in basement with 6” diameter outlet going into 8” square clay tile lined masonry chimney. Having issues with back draft, was going to purchase a vacu-stack cap, wondering what size would provide the best results? 6”? 7”? Even a 8” would fit with the 10” square adapter plate I would need to add at the top.

I don't recall of anyone posting here about using one of those. Which makes me leery of them.

How tall is your chimney? The situation should improve if there was an insulated liner installed in it.

Is that the one that claims you can burn wetter wood when using it? I’m in a similar boat with a weak chimney draft, already had it lined, my next step is extending it.