Valcourt Lafayette or RSF Pearl?. Pros /cons?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Manitoban

Sep 24, 2018
Unknown
we are doing a new build and have narrowed it to these options. Any feedback from those with experience with these would be appreciated. What are the pros and cons and anything specific we need to consider before making the decision?

The Pearl is now the Pearl 3600. It is still a non-cat, 2.1 cu ft fireplace and a good looker. The Lafayette II is Valcourt's 2020 offering. It will start shipping in November. It is slightly larger at 2.5 cu ft. Based on past performance of the earlier versions, they both should work well for area heating.

I have a season on the Lafayette II - got it last October. It is my first experience with a "modern" stove but the big thing for me is that I was surprised at how different the unit hot restarted between loading N/S and E/W. Anything over 16 inches wont fit N/S so I have made sure to cut everything at that length for this year instead of longer because of how much faster it restarts with less smouldering in that orientation.

Otherwise I have been happy with it and was pleased with the quantity that I got from my chimney cleaning this summer. With the one year of burning it under my belt I would purchase it again.