Value of Antique Coal Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kid320

Hearth Supporter
I am not quite sure how I stumbled across this site, but I sure do hope I am in the right place. I purchased a house in April of this year and I finally got around to having my fireplace inspected today.

The inspector told me that what I have is an old coal burning insert or grate. He had to remove it to get to the rest of my chimney and, after the inspection, I decided to leave it out and put some money into the fireplace itself instead of dealing with burning something on that tiny grate.

He mentioned to me that he thought it was from the late 1800's. My house was built in 1940, but it looks like this wasn't part of the original fireplace. So, that is a possibility. He said that I could probably get a good amount of money selling it on craigslist, as people with money in some of the lofts in nearby Philadelphia love this kind of antique insert, as they fit in their shallow fireplaces well.

It seems to be pretty complete and in good condition. Both hatches on top open and close without trouble, and the grate seems to tilt without and trouble (although I don't have a crank or handle for it, I need to use vice grips in order to make it turn).

I would like to know any information anybody has on this piece, and a ballpark figure on how much I should list it for.

I have attached a few pictures of everything. Please excuse the wet look, as I just wiped everything down to the best of my ability.

The first picture (445) is a shot of chimney inspector cleaning it up and trying to figure out how to take it out of my fireplace.

The second picture (467) is an overall view of the assembled piece. Written on inside of it are the words "Improved National 24." I am not sure if that means anything to anybody.

The third picture (462) is a shot of the back side of the insert.

The forth picture (469) is a shot of everything assembled. I am not sure what these pieces are called, but there are 4 of them: the main piece, the grate, the front fence and the lower piece that goes on the ground and covers up the front.

I hope my descriptions/pictures are helpful and I really appreciate your time helping me out. Let me know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• mini-IMG_0445.jpg
    mini-IMG_0445.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 832
  • mini-IMG_0462.jpg
    mini-IMG_0462.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 769
  • mini-IMG_0469.jpg
    mini-IMG_0469.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 798
My brother in law bought a house last year that has 4 fireplaces; the FP in the living room has one of these, his also has doors. I never saw anything like it myself. If you get any info on it please share it here, Ill do the same also, Im going to look into it myself.

I posted a message on that other site but haven't received a response yet. Then again, they don't seem to have nearly as active of a forum as you guys do here. So, I will give it some time. Just so everybody knows, I am still looking for more information and a possible value that I could sell it for.

Any help is appreciated.

We red tag those out here. I would find a nice high end Big city decorator store and stick it to 'em make up a great story about the historic significance of the insert and how you'd be happy to provide documents if the customer balked, but it would cost them somemore. and leave it there.

You now don't have to feel guilty and you have some cash. The decorator will find their greed has bought them another warehouse decoration that no right minded Zoning enforcer will allow to be installed as a working appliance. :lol: :lol: :lol:

my home was built in 1922 by a Utah dairy farmer and his wife who's parents immigrated here from Europe. They owned over 5000 acres and all that is left now is my home on .6 acres. Many of my neighbors own newer homes yet their backyards are occupied by barns and relics such as farm implements left over from this family's legacy. Hang on to your fireplace. I have the EXACT same one and I burn wood in it everyday. It seems small only at first. Once you get to know the fireplace it WILL surprise you how warm and romantic it truly is. It has 2 dampers. One pushrod and one knob. Use the pushrod whenever you light a fire or add wood to a fire. It increases updraft through the chimney. Use it to get a fire going and then close it. When adding wood, open again until you see that the logs are burning fiecely and then close it again. Once closed you WILL feel heat in the room. I recommend augmenting the fireplace with a small oscilating space heater and a ceiling fan to spread the warmth. You have a real treasure. Please don't discount it or assume it is only for burning coal. Also it may seem small but it truly is a working wonderful fireplace. I stack logs all the way to the top of mine regulalrly once the fire is going strong and it is just so romantic AND WARM.I really miss it each morning when the fire has gone out and I don't feel the radiant heat on my face as I sit in my living room. You have an artifact from a bygone era. It is special and you should be proud to own it. Use it. Enjoy it.

Attachments

• _DSC0047.jpg
    _DSC0047.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 481
Heath326 said:
my home was built in 1922 by a Utah dairy farmer and his wife who's parents immigrated here from Europe. They owned over 5000 acres and all that is left now is my home on .6 acres. Many of my neighbors own newer homes yet their backyards are occupied by barns and relics such as farm implements left over from this family's legacy. Hang on to your fireplace. I have the EXACT same one and I burn wood in it everyday. It seems small only at first. Once you get to know the fireplace it WILL surprise you how warm and romantic it truly is. It has 2 dampers. One pushrod and one knob. Use the pushrod whenever you light a fire or add wood to a fire. It increases updraft through the chimney. Use it to get a fire going and then close it. When adding wood, open again until you see that the logs are burning fiecely and then close it again. Once closed you WILL feel heat in the room. I recommend augmenting the fireplace with a small oscilating space heater and a ceiling fan to spread the warmth. You have a real treasure. Please don't discount it or assume it is only for burning coal. Also it may seem small but it truly is a working wonderful fireplace. I stack logs all the way to the top of mine regulalrly once the fire is going strong and it is just so romantic AND WARM.I really miss it each morning when the fire has gone out and I don't feel the radiant heat on my face as I sit in my living room. You have an artifact from a bygone era. It is special and you should be proud to own it. Use it. Enjoy it.

Thank you so much for your post. I really do appreciate it. I had to do a doubletake of your picture because I thought you had reposted one of mine... that is very close to mine. I believe yours also has the words "improved national" along the back of it. Am I correct? Do you know they year, anything else about this manufacturer, or details of it's value? I know I keep mentioning it's value, and I will heed your warning and truly think about keeping it... but the decision isn't entirely mine. If I do sell it, I want to make sure I am not getting ripped off, but also want to be able to provide a potential buyer with as many details of the piece as I can. Then again, I might just want to know those details for my own good if I do decide to keep it.

Once again, thank you very much for your reply! Anything else is, as always, appreciated.

The closest I have seen is a gothic version recently listed on ebay for $250. I will give you $250 for yours if you still want to sell it. It would be great to have a pair in my home. I have an extra chimney from an old coal burning stove that is no longer in use and your insert would be a perfect addition. By the way mine has a cover for Summer. Do you have that piece? You can find them although they won't match exactly. Try ebay or google searches.

Glad it helps. I don't know the year of manufacture. I have been seeking info on this insert for 6 months straight and your post is the first match I have found. It must be pretty rare. But I don't think it's worth a lot of money. I just know that mine works well and it's worth more in use than it is on the market. Oh, and yes you are correct. It is marked "improved national 24". I found more inserts like this listed in England than anywhere else but I beleive it was made in Chicago. I will keep doing research until I know for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.