Value of used OWB

Mountaineer Posted By Mountaineer, Feb 27, 2017 at 7:25 PM

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 17, 2013
    Hey all, local old guy has a 6 year old Taylor 450 for sale . He is almost 90 and can't do the wood thing anymore. I looked at and it seems to be in good condition from what I could see.
    Just wondering what you guys think it is worth?
    Thanks in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. E Yoder

E Yoder
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Floyd, VA
    I'd really look it over for rust in the exhaust tubes and firebox. It's mild steel and Taylor is a fairly slow burning unit which can make it sweat.
    Not a criticism, just saying any rust would affect the price.
    Maybe $3,000?
    The newer Taylors have stainless tubes ( I think) so some of the rust issues may not apply in that particular unit .

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JohnDolz

JohnDolz
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 29, 2015
    Loc:
    Burlington, CT
    Pay him a bit more than it is worth, I see an opportunity to earn good karma:).

4. goosegunner

goosegunner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2009
    Loc:
    WI
    I sold a 9 year old Taylor 450 in good condition back in 2010 for just under $2000.

gg

5. Mountaineer

Mountaineer
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 17, 2013
    This one has the stainless ... I looked. It sat in under a shed since new ...I know that doesn't really matter though.

Nice. Always looking for a way to plant a good seed in hopes of that future harvest.

I gave him 2100 for it today.

6. goosegunner

goosegunner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2009
    Loc:
    WI

I think that is a fair price for both of you. I think they were about $5700 new back in 2010. Taylors will last a long time if you do the water treatment. They also have a decent sized water jacket.

7. E Yoder

E Yoder
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Floyd, VA
    Enjoy your new stove!

8. Mountaineer

Mountaineer
    Member 2.
    NULL

Feb 17, 2013
    Update. Think I got it connected back in December, So far so good. Really enjoy it.
    The coil was broke ( replaced it) and the fan motor was messed up and so I just took the fan off.

9. mark cline

mark cline
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 20, 2012
    Loc:
    Cattaraugus, NY
    I'm not familiar with this boiler so what was the purpose of the fan? If it had anything to due with combustion , replace it . Do you have any storage?

10. goosegunner

goosegunner
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 15, 2009
    Loc:
    WI
    The fan is in the door and is tied to an aqua stat. The aqua stat stops and starts the fan to keep the water temp within a certain range.

A taylor without the fan would basically be in smolder mode all the time. It would only be able to draw a small amount of air through the tunnel that the fan is mounted to.

11. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    If you don't want to incure much expense in buying a custom fan...talk to an electrician friend. Fans are cheap and easily installed.