Value Wood Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laynes69

Minister of Fire
Oct 2, 2006
Ashland OH
Dad has a downdraft wood stove made by the amish. Its almost like the 82 hitzer, but im sure its different inside. He was burning good seasoned wood and burning the thing hot. Its been 2 months, So I told him to check his chimney and clean it. There was over 10 gallons of creasote in the chimney and he had to put the bare rod through just to break through, then brush it. He has a masonary chimney, thats 8x8 thats about 25 feet tall, 15 from ground level. This wood stove has been nothing but a pain. He currently has it in his basement and it heats his whole house through circulation. There is the 1500 square foot stove on clearance at home depot. Im pretty sure it has the secondary tubes. I was wondering if it would throw out the heat that the other did, being the amish one is maybe 50 percent efficient. I would like to see him get rid of the smoke bomb and get a cleaner burning, less wood heater.

Yes, the stove has the secondary tubes and is an EPA certified stove. Check the label to be certain. They sell some 35:1 stoves there also, but i don't believe that is one of them. Would be a good stove for him, depending on how big the house is.

Also, at a slightly higher price, Lopi is also making two value model stoves with just the basic features, but I'm not sure of the prices. You can see them on their website.

Early Father's Day??? Grab it quick, you'll never see the sale deal again. What a gift. :)

That would be nice. I called around tonight, nothing left. I just want him to get rid of that thing. His house is 1680 square feet, and the basement is fully finished, but the ceilings. He has 1 door leading to the upstairs that he has slatted louvers in the top of the door where the heat rises. It heats his house okay, but he uses alot more wood than I do and I have a wood furnace. Also everytime we have swept his chimney, it has been blocked solid. Luckily he hasn't had a chimney fire yet. I used to think what he had was okay, but its a horrible creasote monter for wood. I think it was more designed for anthracite coal. Wood is free so thats what he wants to stick to. Maybe we could get lucky and find something for a decent price around here. I told him he will be warmer and save wood at the same time. Also have a cleaner chimney.

damn Laynes they are either Century or Enganders. sorry you snoozed and lost both pretty decent at that price not junk. but decent Call around you might get luckey also try Lowes

My donor Century Made by Vermont castings cost $288 and it included a blower Can't beat that

Just a thought. Maybe we need a thread for:"I saw this Deal" for listing really good deals on stoves and such. If we don't need it someone else will. Like the two VC stoves for $500" in a local Want Ad. Where's the boss when you need him? Reno, Craps!

If you don't find any stoves new at Lowes or Home Depot spring sales (the best deals), then I would wait a month until it warms up. There should be more nice used ones for sale in spring. How far are you willing to travel to get a nice used stove?

One more question - is this an interior or exterior chimney?

Probably 50 to 75 miles. The chimney is located in an unheated insulated attached garage. Its was built with the house in 1995. He needs something thats worth burning wood in.

Corie said:
http://www.avalonstoves.com/product.asp?dept_id=4&sku=68

Looks like Avalon got around to building a Englander 13-NCL. With the door hinges on the wrong side.

I would also recommend looking for a used one (check ebay and craigslist, call stove shops, etc). At any rate, just about any EPA approved stove should produce a lot more heat than what he's getting with that inefficient smoker.

If you are going to buy a new one, the Englander and Drolet are decent value stoves, the Vermont Castings Dutchwest line is only slightly more expensive.

Thats the thing, on hitzers website it said roughly 80 to 90,000 btus. I know for sure there is no way this thing will put out that much, there is no secondary air to burn the smoke or anything. Hell its made out of 1/16th inch steel which makes me nervous. I believe it was made more for anthracite coal than wood. Its been a while that his chimney has been doing this and everytime I went over there I about got sick from the cloud of thick smoke. I think he will be much happier. Supposingly the wood stove was 800 new, which at one time I had considered one. Then I realized that my wood furnace was 10 times cleaner and produced twice the heat so I decided to rebuild my furnace. Im sure we will find something for him this year. Its better to spend a little extra than to have a chimney fire from hell due to a bad wood stove. Its not UL listed and the insurance company approved it without any issues whatsoever. Im tellin you that chimney was horrible. Maybe next time I can get a pic so people can see what a smoke dragon could produce even with good seasoned wood. Softball sized chunks of creasote. He said it was plugged solid almost 6 feet of the chimney.

BrotherBart said:
Corie said:
http://www.avalonstoves.com/product.asp?dept_id=4&sku=68

Looks like Avalon got around to building a Englander 13-NCL. With the door hinges on the wrong side.

not quite BB, the avalon came in at 4.4 GPH , we ended up at 2.6 on the 13 series, may be a pretty good unit though , i havent looked at one" in the flesh" so hard to pass judgement

The Hitzer stoves are made of 3/16" steel (according to their website).

1/16" steel is about 16 gauge and there is no way the stove is made from that, as far as I know. That's what I use for heat shields.

The hitzer stoves are coal stoves by design. They have no provisions for burning wood, other than they are a box that air comes into and will burn wood. For burning coal, they're pretty good. I wouldn't even consider using one to burn wood on a constant basis though.

Again, if he is looking to get rid of it, I'd take the drive to OH to pick it up for use in the donor program as a strictly coal only installation. Or I could cut it up and add a secondary chamber to it.

When he does replace it, please let me know.

Its not a hitzer, but looks like one. It is 1/16th in steel. Very thin for a wood stove. It was made as cheaply as possible from the local amish. The only thing that protects it is firebrick. It will very easily glow. Trust me its not a good stove by any means. The ashpan door is the 1/16 and is warped from the heat. Its junk.

Ohhhh, its not a hitzer.

Sorry for the confusion.

1/16 is a joke. No wonder the stove isn't listed. Get that thing OUT of his house.

laynes69 said:
Its not a hitzer, but looks like one. It is 1/16th in steel. Very thin for a wood stove. It was made as cheaply as possible from the local amish. The only thing that protects it is firebrick. It will very easily glow. Trust me its not a good stove by any means. The ashpan door is the 1/16 and is warped from the heat. Its junk.

Went to Sutherland's today. They have their stoves discounted, and a special sign says an additional 15%. They have some of the Englanders and Breckwells. Seems the Pellets utility heaters would run under a thousand. If I would not have gotten the Kozi, I'd be tempted. They have huge hoppers and can be run off a thermostat. Might be nice for your Dad.

I think there are Sutherlands in Ohio, it may be worth a hundred mile drive to check them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.