valve flow capacity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
How do you determine a valves flow capacity by its specs?
There are full bore valves, and valves with small orifaces, high restriction valves.
I will be shopping for a 3-way zone valve for my pressurized storage. I have a 1 1/4 honeywell VCZNE6100 in mind.
Like to get full capacity if possible.

Valves are given a CV rating which is the flow in gpm at 1 psi pressure drop across the valve. Of course this drop varies with the actual flow so each valve should have a chart showing the actual drop vs. the flow rate. You will need to know this to correctly size your circulator. Some recommend sizing a 3-way valve up 1 size due to the typically higher ressure drop. Compare it both ways to see what size pump you would need. My honeywell 3 way valves came with the charts.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.