Vapor fire 200 install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Xc1974

Dec 28, 2014
Hi all,
I recently acquired a vapor fire 200 that's been lightly used. I have it set up in my basement. I'm working on connecting the chimney. It will be an easy hookup, a 90 deg elbow on the back of the furnace and then straight up. Between the floor support for the chimney and the elbow I have 46". The owners manual says to put the barometric damper as close as possible to the stove. So my question is, where should I put it? Right out of the elbow or should I move up off the elbow some, or go up closer to the ceiling? Seems to me that right out the elbow may be too close, but I don't really know.

I'm also wondering wth the low draft of this stove what kind of chimney cap people use or if it matters? I have the icc deluxe cap that has kind of a band around it. Will this be ok or too restrictive?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
Like said above, I'd also do two 45's if possible.

I originally had my BD placed on the end of the 45° bend coming right off the collar of the furnace. Couldn't get any closer than that. I then moved it further downstream and I didn't notice any difference what-so-ever.

Photo is how it used to be. Now I just have the BD and key damper switched around.

IMG_1702.JPG

Like said above, I'd also do two 45's if possible.

I originally had my BD placed on the end of the 45° bend coming right off the collar of the furnace. Couldn't get any closer than that. I then moved it further downstream and I didn't notice any difference what-so-ever.

Photo is how it used to be. Now I just have the BD and key damper switched around.

View attachment 250601
Thanks for the reply. Why do you have a key damper in the line?

Thanks for the reply. Why do you have a key damper in the line?

The place that installed my chimney recommended I have one. Having the BD where it is now in relation to the key damper, the BD takes the high-lows out of the draft. I sometimes close the key damper some if I want to temporarily decrease the draft even more. This allows me to do so w/o messing with the BD.

Last edited:
And if you have a real tall chimney, especially in a cold part of the country, having the key damper allows you to keep the draft in check enough that the BD can control it to a normal range...on polar vortex days sometimes one BD by itself can't keep up...a key damper keeps you from having to install 2 BD's...which Lamppa has said they have customers that had to do this!
Last winter I didn't have a key damper installed and when we had a super cold snap my draft was on the high end of normal, just enough that with a full firebox the high temp alarm went off...if I had the KD I could have cut draft to -0.04" or so and calmed things a bit.
My chimney is only 27' or so too...not super tall.

Hi all,
I recently acquired a vapor fire 200 that's been lightly used. I have it set up in my basement. I'm working on connecting the chimney. It will be an easy hookup, a 90 deg elbow on the back of the furnace and then straight up. Between the floor support for the chimney and the elbow I have 46". The owners manual says to put the barometric damper as close as possible to the stove. So my question is, where should I put it? Right out of the elbow or should I move up off the elbow some, or go up closer to the ceiling? Seems to me that right out the elbow may be too close, but I don't really know.

I'm also wondering wth the low draft of this stove what kind of chimney cap people use or if it matters? I have the icc deluxe cap that has kind of a band around it. Will this be ok or too restrictive?

Thanks in advance for the help.
I’m sure by now that you have learned to use a small stick or narrow piece of wood to close the damper on startup and when adding wood, to prevent smoke from exiting. My serial number is 200-0129-86.

I’m sure by now that you have learned to use a small stick or narrow piece of wood to close the damper on startup and when adding wood, to prevent smoke from exiting. My serial number is 200-0129-86.
The barometric damper on the stove pipe? There shouldn't be smoke coming out there...

No, out of the stove with the door open while starting a fire or adding wood.

Sounds like you maybe don't have your barometric adjusted right?

No, out of the stove with the door open while starting a fire or adding wood.
So where is it exactly that you are putting a stick to prevent smoke rollout?

I'm guessing he's just putting it either in between the flap edge and the housing to hold it shut or putting it in the little side area (see screen capture) to hold it shut. I will sometimes do the same thing when starting a fire in a stone cold firebox.

1580912034308.png

I will sometimes do the same thing when starting a fire in a stone cold firebox.
Why? It should be totally closed at that point...unless its really windy or something...

Why? It should be totally closed at that point...unless its really windy or something...

It still opens a bit, even when the draft is real low at the beginning of the burn. When lighting initially in a cold firebox, I may get -0.02" with the BD left as is.....if I hold it closed, it may jump up to -0.04" or so. I also have added weight on it to keep draft in check at normal temps, so that may not be helping. I leave it like that for maybe a minute, until the fire takes good and then remove it. I don't do it all the time, just those instances when I may be having "issues" and want all the help I can get. ;lol

So where is it exactly that you are putting a stick to prevent smoke rollout?
The counterweight is between 6-8. On this forum I just learned that the BD should be located next to the elbow/s at the furnace. Recently a HVAC friend told me that going from 6”to 8” between the furnace and chimney, will reduce my draft.
1580921010479.jpeg

The counterweight is between 6-8. On this forum I just learned that the BD should be located next to the elbow/s at the furnace. Recently a HVAC friend told me that going from 6”to 8” between the furnace and chimney, will reduce my draft. View attachment 256543

Where exactly did you learn that? Because it doesn't sound quite right. It should work where it is, as long as it is level & plumb. I still think it is not adjusted correctly - usually needs to be verified with a manometer. The barometric damper should not be open at all, really, until your flue draft exceeds the baseline it is adjusted for. Which should be that spec'd by the manufacturer. And is typically -0.04"-0.06".

The barometric damper should not be open at all, really, until your flue draft exceeds the baseline it is adjusted for.

One would think that should be the case, but mine doesn't work like that. When cold, it will swing partially open at fairly low draft, not very much, but enough to lower the draft. I have It set for, which it maintains, -0.055" to -0.06" once everything is up to temp and burning.

Last edited:
One would think that should be the case, but mine doesn't work like that. When cold, it will swing partially open at fairly low draft, not very much, but enough to lower the draft. I have It set for, which it maintains, -0.055" to -0.06" once everything is up to temp and burning.
Yeah but most people don't have a 9000' tall chimney like you either! ;)
That thing would suck up small animals! ;lol

Reactions: JRHAWK9
The counterweight is between 6-8. On this forum I just learned that the BD should be located next to the elbow/s at the furnace. Recently a HVAC friend told me that going from 6”to 8” between the furnace and chimney, will reduce my draft. View attachment 256543
I agree with Maple1, its fine right where its at now, no reason to move it.
-0.06 to -.008" WC is too high though...I bet your burn times are short with it set like that, no?

Probably should put a manometer on it just to verify your draft is what you assume it is.

With computer set at minimum fire, wind at 5 mph, burning for one hour:
I agree with Maple1, its fine right where its at now, no reason to move it.
-0.06 to -.008" WC is too high though...I bet your burn times are short with it set like that, no?
My two story chimney is lined with 8” SS, because I once had a junk Juca B-3B that required 8”. (Yea I believed the bs on mb-soft.com ). What setting of the BD would any of you recommend? Personally I don’t like BD’s because they create negative air pressure in the house. And, I don’t like stoves/furnaces that don’t allow outside air intake, because that draws in cold outside air; into the house. (1914 house). Does anyone have a unique way of bringing in outside combustion air?