Variety of Brands Thinning at Dealers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkF48

Feeling the Heat
Nov 14, 2011
Central MA
When I first got my pellet stove I started out with Geneva brand pellets and used then for about three years and they burned well. I went to buy pellets this year and the dealer had dropped this brand, so I went with Okanagan Gold. Now I look at the dealers site and he no longer seems to carry Okanagan, but appears to have a few brands I'm less familiar with. This is a fairly sizable dealer in the area and not sure if the lack of pellets sales due to low oil prices has given him second thought about stocking up too much with another season of low oil prices.
Have you noticed a similar trend from dealers in your areas?

Okanagan went bankrupt. Okanagan is now bagged as northern warmth. With pinnacle douglas fir in the fir bags and eagle valley in the spruce bags

Ahh... the dealer does have Northern Warmth as Douglas Fir and Purely Pine

I may be in the minority here, but I think choosing a pellet brand is like chossing an heating oil brand... Irrelevant. Purchasing the pellets that are manufactured the nearest from your place would be the logical thing to do.

Last year I bought a dozen bags from a manufacturer located 3000 km away from me, to try them and save $0,50 per bag. I felt like a fool for the whole time I burned them, reminding me that my usual brand is manufactured in my city 12 km away.

ymmv.

I may be in the minority here, but I think choosing a pellet brand is like chossing an heating oil brand... Irrelevant. Purchasing the pellets that are manufactured the nearest from your place would be the logical thing to do.

Last year I bought a dozen bags from a manufacturer located 3000 km away from me, to try them and save $0,50 per bag. I felt like a fool for the whole time I burned them, reminding me that my usual brand is manufactured in my city 12 km away.

ymmv.
I see you havent burned a real batch of pellets yet.

Or used a gravity pellet stove like my Wiseway. All I used last year was Okanagan (Doug Fir and Platinum). In fact, if they are out of business, I'm glad I bought four ton back in April when they were on early bird special. I'm sure my pellet dealer will have whatever Okanagan is being labelled as when I resupply next spring. Hardwood just doesn't cut it in these stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.