VC Defiant with 6" pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming you are talking about the older non cat versions, its very dependent on your chimney and draft. I have seen more than a few that can run as with a 6" as long as they don't try to close the secondary damper. A lot of those who run that way tend to warp the casting at the back of the firebox way to soon. They also can be a pain to light. Keep in mind the colder it is outside the better the draft.

On one or two attached to tall interior center chimneys they ran great that is the exception.

You are far better off selling it and getting a smaller stove.

This is for an installation of a new stove stove pipe and chimney It will have 4 foot of stove pipe and 90 degree out to an exterior 25 foot chimney VC ssyd you can run 6" pipe just looking for real world expetiences

This is for an installation of a new stove stove pipe and chimney It will have 4 foot of stove pipe and 90 degree out to an exterior 25 foot chimney VC ssyd you can run 6" pipe just looking for real world expetiences
If vc says it will work they would know best why question it. I personally would seriously question the stove choice but not the 6" pipe if that is what they recommend.

Yeah the VC rep said 6" only if internal run with no bends The 8" is 1200 more for 25 feet ouch Leaning towards the Jutol Oslo can center it on my wall and use side door

The VC should work fine with that amount of 6" chimney. However, looking at the Jotul F500 or F600 may save your wallet in the long run.

Reactions: bholler
Are you talking about an old Defiant, or a brand new one? The old stoves were great, the newer ones don't have quite as many nice reviews.

even with a 90 and external pipe ?
Yes. The two 90s will reduce the effective length by say 6ft, but that still provides 19' of chimney. That should work well unless there are location issues that don't work well with the prevailing winds or geography. Otherwise it could draft fine. Other confounding factors might be negative pressure in a basement install but that may affect other stoves as well. The long stick will cool down flue gases quite a bit by the time they reach the cap, but that is a separate issue.

Last edited:
Are you talking about an old Defiant, or a brand new one? The old stoves were great, the newer ones don't have quite as many nice reviews.
New one also looking at the F500 These are the ones that my wife likes for our living room that can handle a large open floor plan

Yes. The two 90s will reduce the effective length by say 6ft, but that still provides 19' of chimney. That should work well unless there are location issues that don't work well with the prevailing winds or geography. Otherwise it could draft fine. Other confounding factors might be negative pressure in a basement install but that may affect other stoves as well. The long stick will cool down flue gases quite a bit by the time they reach the cap, but that is a separate issue.
Also the house is new and well insulated. Should I install an outside air kit or just crack a window which is close to the stove ?

Are you talking about creosote buildup due to the long chimney ? Would an 8" chimney prevent this ?
No, it's just a long way for the flue gases to cool down. Connecting with double-wall stove pipe will help a little.
Also the house is new and well insulated. Should I install an outside air kit or just crack a window which is close to the stove ?
It might be advisable to plan on an OAK. Is there a fresh air recovery system already installed for the house?

New one also looking at the F500 These are the ones that my wife likes for our living room that can handle a large open floor plan

What size home are you trying to heat? The general consensus among users on this site is Jotul > Vermont Castings for a variety of reasons.

No, it's just a long way for the flue gases to cool down. Connecting with double-wall stove pipe will help a little.

It might be advisable to plan on an OAK. Is there a fresh air recovery system already installed for the house?
Not sure what this is unless you mean the fan in the furnance that moves air via vents and returns

In modern tight houses there often is required a fresh air makeup system. This can be as simple as outdoor intake vents in some rooms or a fresh air intake to the heating system. A more sophisticated approach is with a heat-recovery system that warms incoming outside air with outgoing house exhaust air.

Status
Not open for further replies.