VC Encore NC overfire...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
So myself (and apparently a decent number other people from what I've read) have some, ahem, issues with our VC Encore NC's.

In my case, if I reload on a reasonable (an inch or so) coal bed with anything other than about a quarter of a load, it's serious overfire time: bypass closed, air control fully closed, the sucker sounds like a jet engine. Surface temps will hover around 400F, but the rear collar got up to about 850F the last time this happened. Combine that with a nice orange glow on the backing plate, and I've about had it with this thing. It's not overfiring because I'm not paying attention, it's overfiring because I simply can't control what it's doing. And a stove that I can't burn overnight with a full load is pretty damn useless.

So my question is this: before I got wise to what this thing was doing, I suspect I overfired it a few times, combined with the last couple times where I tried to tame it and figure out what the deal was. Is my liner (single wall, flex pipe inside a clay lined chimney) in any danger? Should I have it inspected?

I'm about ready to head back to my local dealer where I bought the VC and tell them to haul the damn thing away and put a Hearthstone in its place. If they'll eat the installation cost since it's the second stove I'll have bought from them in under 2 years, I figure it's a better choice than having a bomb on my hearth.

If you suspect an overfire, or multiple overfires - then yes, get the stack inspected for safety purposes. Its the right thing to do. It is not the same thing as a chimney fire, but the long term rating on the stacks is somewhere around 1100F continuous . If you have exceeded this repeatedly - it should be looked at. Chances are - its probably fine (and nice and clean), but you won't know until it is inspected.

Have you been measuring flue temps as well as stove top and rear? I find the flue temps come down a lot more quickly than the the rear burn chamber temps. The rear sidewall can stay over 800F even while my flue is dropping from 500 to 400.

heffergm, I still remember you from last season because you had one of the funniest posts I've ever read. NO--THE funniest post I've ever read.
Laughed so hard I cried. But I digress....

In an attempt to control the "overfiring", are you using bigger pieces of wood? Just thought I'd ask.....
So hard to know what to expect. That smoke is burning at 1200*. I don't know how any downdraft stove can stay below 800* back there.

How about a stovepipe damper?

Troutchaser said:
heffergm, I still remember you from last season because you had one of the funniest posts I've ever read. NO--THE funniest post I've ever read.

Which one? I gotta read that!

Sorry, you made a mistake buying this stove. Return it.
The 'real' Vermont Castings from way back to the first buyout would never have marketed a product like this Encore NC. There have been too many user problems.
It is a design and engineering error. Perhaps for those who have entertainment or ocasional fires it will be fine; not for heating or 24/7 use.
Ask experienced dealers why they "prefer" to not recommend this stove...to anyone.

RenovationGeorge said:
Troutchaser said:

Which one? I gotta read that!

I'll have to find it. Sorry, heffergm, that's not helping you with the stove.
Caveat- I have an unusual sense of humor.
I say at the end of 2010, we have a thread with the funniest posts of the year.
EDIT:
Search..... Is my mantle getting too hot...........from Jan. It was a darth vader comment
And I apologize to ashbucket if he found the remark insulting. There I go....laughing again.

Now, heffergm, about that VC Encore N-C.......
You're not alone with those temps. Harmans are right there with you and I haven't even checked mine yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.