VC everburn secondary air control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICY99

Sep 29, 2008
CENTRAL, NY
Here is a quick and dirty way to have control of the secondary air intake that anyone can build in about 10 mins. You can adjust the compression of the spring and the friction of the plate as needed. If the spring is not stiff enough, then the plate will not stay open. If the spring ever fails, then the sheet metal will cover the opening (safty feature). And its really cheap. Hope this helps!

1 aluminum 3" elbow
1 machine screw
1 nut
1 big washer
1 little washer
fairly stiff spring
hose clamp
90 deg bracket
piece of sheet metal cut to size

Attachments

• airfront.jpg
    airfront.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 313
  • airside.jpg
    airside.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 322
  • airside2.jpg
    airside2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 329
Great work ICY!

I was at Home Depot today & picked up bunch of stuff like this but all 4" %-P

Nice... Sell the idea to VC!

In searching the forum for VC defiant everburn and reading the good stories and not so good, I made my emergency aluminum foil.

I was thinking that I would need to make something to regulate the secondary air.

I was wondering if a "flap" style with a thermostat spring would be able to self regulate?

I have zero experience with VC everburn so I might be out to lunch!

Have you used it much?

I have thought about a thermostat control as well. It is a good idea but there are some things to consider:

Temperature response of thermostat.

Mounting location of thermostat (for given thermostat sensitivity)

Linkage from thermostat to flap through heatshield and other obstructions.

sweet!! now i have a list of what i need to buy this weekend!!

wonder how a coat of black stove paint would hold up on that?

trailblaze said:
sweet!! now i have a list of what i need to buy this weekend!!

wonder how a coat of black stove paint would hold up on that?

Not sure how well the paint would stick. You can also get 3" elbows in galvanized steel. Just make sure you de-grease it well and paint should stick. Also, I am upgrading the design by replacing the rear hex nut with a wing nut and lockwasher. I think it will hold a bit better and be easier to adjust. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.