VC Intrepid II 1303 (1987) Picture Request

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justinemtp22

Dec 5, 2009
Southeast MA
Hello everyone. the house I just moved into has a VC Intrepid II model 1303 (1987) stove in the living room. When I took the back plate off the cat is non existent...I'm thinking just burned away since the previous homeowner probably never maintained it. I was going to just buy a new cat but it looks to me that some of the fireproof material that holds the cat in place an provides the chamber may be damaged. Problem is I can't find any pics of what it is supposed to look like. If anyone has any pics if they could post them that would be greatly appreciated.

I've posted about this before. I repaired my with steel wire pins and a mixture of perlite/refractory cement. Dampening the white refractory material first helps the cement stick.
After a couple of years making do with that, I bit the bullet and bought the replacement chamber from black swan. If you don't have the original cat cover (rectangular piece that goes over refractory chamber opening (top middle in photo) after cat is put inside) you'll need to buy that also or make one. It doesn't come included with the item pictured in this thread.
Applied Ceramics makes a suitable replacement cat.
Make sure you remove the secondary probe and air flapper (on back) before trying to remove the cat chamber (done from inside firebox).

Status
Not open for further replies.