VC Montpelier Flue Sealant.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mtbvert

Jan 4, 2019
Long Island, NY
I did some cleaning recently and noticed the sealant on the flue was cracking off. Is it necessary? The install guide didn't say anything about sealing it, unless I missed it.

2nd season burning in this house, still figuring it out, thanks for your help!!
IMG_20191109_085714628.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I did some cleaning recently and noticed the sealant on the flue was cracking off. Is it necessary? The install guide didn't say anything about sealing it, unless I missed it.

2nd season burning in this house, still figuring it out, thanks for your help!!View attachment 251577
Sealant should not be nessecary no. But that is not a proper fitting for that liner.

Reactions: mtbvert
A flex liner elbow has a clamp for the liner.
In your opinion is it unsafe to burn? I've called a few local guys and un-surprisingly they are not taking new customers at this time.

I've burned the past 2 winters, not full time, with no issue. CO detectors are current and working.

It won’t hurt anything to use it for now. Just try to get on someone’s schedule to have it fixed.
It always surprises me that installer’s don’t have what they need, or go back and get what they need. They Just wing it...

Reactions: bholler
It won’t hurt anything to use it for now. Just try to get on someone’s schedule to have it fixed.
It always surprises me that installer’s don’t have what they need, or go back and get what they need. They Just wing it...
Thank for the input, i would imagine the sealant was slapped on for what was thought to be good measure! I'll keep a closer eye on things for the first few burns of the year.

Sometimes the elbow doesn’t fit real snug into the flue collar. Some sealant doesn’t hurt, but smeared all over the place isn’t very craftsman like.

Reactions: mtbvert