VC Resolute from 1980

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaggy

Dec 10, 2016
Hedgesville, WV
I found a 1980 resolute in blue that has never had a fire in it and is almost mint minus a few chips in the paint. What do you think it's worth?

That is quite a find. The enameled version of this stove sold for about $500 back then. It's value today would depend on how much one loves this stove. We had one and it was a great little stove and perfect for heating our little 800 sq ft house (no insulation) back then. I would not be surprised to see the right person in the right location pay over $1000 for it. That of course is going to depend on the local market. In New England it would be snapped up quickly, but I don't know about WV.

Well I bought it today for much less than $1000. I had no idea it was 36 years old till I got it home. Pretty happy.
IMG_0517.JPG

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
So what Sq footage are these stoves rated for? I have 1350 sq feet but it's a Chalet with high ceilings in the front area of the house. What kind of burn times can I expect from this stove?

WOW!! Nice stove. It is in fact a Res. III (double doors, 2 piece fireback) which would have been manufactured between 1983-1987. One of the best stoves V.C. ever made IMHO.

And just FYI, when I can find them, I sell completely rebuilt Res. III's for $995.00 in black. I don't see many though.

And just FYI, when I can find them, I sell completely rebuilt Res. III's for $995.00 in black. I don't see many though.
I bought a black one two years ago for $500. I plan to take it apart and cement the joints one day. In the meantime, bought an EPA tube insert to fit in the fireplace. The Resolute was a superior heater, and I loved dropping wood in the top, now I almost have to lay down to feed the insert. My folks still use their Resolute, and I sweep their chimney every year. There is very little creosote each year.

Last edited:
So the flue exit is not round. It's like 5.5 in by 6.5 inches or so. Where can I get that? Also I'm planning to run stove pipe to a reducer because my manufactured fireplace has an 8 inch flue. Also thinking of just getting a cheap stove board to put it on for now. Next year I'm planning to have my fireplace hearth extended so I can put it right in front of the fireplace and get it off the floor. Would one of the imperial boards be ok for now?

Well I should have the Resolute going in the next couple of days. I see that I should put sand in the bottom. Is there a special type of sand I should use?

Well I should have the Resolute going in the next couple of days. I see that I should put sand in the bottom. Is there a special type of sand I should use?
Never used any sand. It fills with ash in short order. If you want to use sand, any type would probably do.

So I lit a couple of small fires yesterday. Today I got my delivery of Ash and have her running now. I like it. I love the top loading. I can gett alot of wood in there if need be. My old Jotul F3CB wouldn't hold near as much. This stove rocks so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.