VC Resolute Smoking from Everywhere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

arakt1

Feb 21, 2017
SC
Well...I sold my Jotul Firelight 12 the other day for $700. The combustor was shot, front left glass was cracked, & the back plate was cracked. I turned around and picked up an old VC Resolute for $350. No cracks and overall good shape with just a little surface rust. I just got it hooked up tonight to check it out and once I got the fire roaring smoke started billowing from everywhere! I guess it's a complete tear down and do-over. Any reseal advice on this stove would helpful. Thanks.

V.C. just stopped making a critical piece for Resoutes! If yours already has the 2 piece fireback, OK. If it's an older 1 piece, I wouldn't bother. Post pic.s if you'd like.

I don't have the parts diagram. It looks like there are 2 plates on either side and one in the back. Is that what you are talking about?

Defiant3, I just found an old thread that you were a part of. I downloaded the install instructions for the 2 part fireback. It will be later this week before I can start pulling everything apart. I assume since smoke was billowing from every nook and cranny (and the fire was blazing) that I need to take everything on the stove apart and start from scratch?

Defiant3...in reading more threads I found another one that describes how I can tell if my Resolute is a I,II, or III. I have the one with the double doors with small glass "viewing" windows...the III. I guess that would be the 2 piece fireback? Whew...if that's the case. I'm nervous that it's going to take so much time for this rebuild and winter will be over before I finish. At least it's in the basement and is not used as our sole source of heat.

So...I took the inside pices out tonight (pics included). It was fairly straight forward. After reading all the nightmare blogs about screws having to be drilled out I was a little apprehensive. They all miraculously came loose fairly easily. I have a question about resealing. Do I just clean the seams of the stove real good and put on a new bead of cement or do I take the stove completely apart? Need some help on this one. I've never done this. The stove seems to be in great shape besides the gaskets and re-cementing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1260.JPG
    IMG_1260.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_1262.JPG
    IMG_1262.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    180.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1266.JPG
    IMG_1266.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1267.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1268.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 240
So...I took the inside pices out tonight (pics included). It was fairly straight forward. After reading all the nightmare blogs about screws having to be drilled out I was a little apprehensive. They all miraculously came loose fairly easily. I have a question about resealing. Do I just clean the seams of the stove real good and put on a new bead of cement or do I take the stove completely apart? Need some help on this one. I've never done this. The stove seems to be in great shape besides the gaskets and re-cementing. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
I do hope you will continue to post pictures and progress, as well as questions. I just wish I had some answers. I am also a proud owner of a Resolute, who will perhaps need to do as you are doing in the future, and I hope to learn along your journey. (Or, put another way, from your mistakes, lol.) I have purchased a parts stove just in case, as we all know parts are becoming harder to come by. I guess I just wanted to give you some encouragement and let you know your efforts are not going unnoticed, even if they are going unanswered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ideally, tesr the stove down. You'll be good for many years to come thst way. It is possible using furnace cement in caulking tubes to inject thecement into the seams from the inside and out. This is pretty effective on Resolutes actually, but will likely have to be done again every few years. Not so baad.

Be advised, it's best to do this while all internls are removed so you have access to a;ll the seams. Also,reinstall internals WHILE THE CEMENT IS STILL WET. Once it hardens everyrhing gets more tedious.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I ordered a gasket kit and cement last night. I plan on starting this weekend and will keep you posted. BTW...should I spray with high-heat paint or just use stove polish?

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I ordered a gasket kit and cement last night. I plan on starting this weekend and will keep you posted. BTW...should I spray with high-heat paint or just use stove polish?
NO polish! That I can answer, lol. I used the Stove Bright 6309 metallic black on mine, you need good ventilation to do this. It will smell on your break in burns, I have to touch mine up now and then so I always keep a can around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have attached a few pics of the items I ordered for the gaskets and cement. Are these what I needed? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1279.PNG
    IMG_1279.PNG
    48.9 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_1280.PNG
    IMG_1280.PNG
    90.7 KB · Views: 169
I am a fan of the stove polish myself. It is not a must do either/or it is a preference and opinion sort of thing. You can decide which would best suit you and your needs.

I used the stove polish when I rebuilt the Defiant prior to last season. It does need to be reapplied in the hot spots. I enjoy polishing it each season and I am pleased with the performance and results. I also like that the polish goes on thin and keeps the details of the stove crisp. I had little to no smoking from the first fire after application.

I do use stove paint on all of the stove pipe.

Keep up the great work and good luck. It is a lot of work rebuilding one of these old stoves but well worth it in my opinion.

The polished Defiant; https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/polishing-the-old-defiant.163818/

Last edited: