VC Vigilant: making it air tight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rawlins02

Feb 19, 2012
Western Massachusetts
I've been getting a just bit of smoke in the room when burning. Perceptible. My gaskets are worn. Very worn. Heading to supply store for gasket kit. Hope they have right kind in stock. Need to do front doors and griddle top. Then I assume if I keep away from the red oak that's not quite seasoned enough, I should see much improvement. One remaining issue is the stove pipe where it meets collar. I can see faint hint of orange glow when in upright mode. Could it be that I did not seat it properly when I took pipe out late spring? Does a gasket belong around the bottom of pipe so that a better seal is created? I recall mention of that here but don't have time to research right now as I'm on the road. Thank.

I used to have a gap there also when I had the vigilant. If the gap is small enough you could use some stove cement to fill the gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.