VC Vigilant smoke shelf placement, need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vt.jake

Dec 26, 2021
Vermont
I’m replacing my damper after the pin connecting the damper to the handle broke. When I removed the damper, I found a flat piece of metal (which I’ve now id’d as the smokeshelf) down at the bottom of the fire back). This didn’t seem right but I can’t figure out what it does or where it’s supposed to go. If I place it where it seems like it should go (see first photo) it fits so loosely that it will just fall back down into where I found it (see second photo). Where does this piece go and what does it do?

image.jpgimage.jpg

Is this an old VC Defiant? If so I think it sits lower and centered, but it has been ages since I have seen the inside of this stove. Are there some nubs sticking out from backside of the fireback for it to rest on?

Is this an old VC Defiant? If so I think it sits lower and centered, but it has been ages since I have seen the inside of this stove. Are there some nubs sticking out from backside of the fireback for it to rest on?
It’s a Vigilant Parlor Stove. There is a little shelf at the very top of the fireback which is what I have it setting on in the original pic. Nothing else I can see for nubs. Attaching a couple more pics with the shelf removed.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Ok, I think it sits higher up on the Vigilant, like you showed in the first picture, but not positive. Adding Vigilant to the title and moving this to the VC forum for a more targeted response and verification.

Took a look, here are a couple of pics. Shelf sits at about a 30 degree slope front to back.

43577386-37B9-4271-80F0-0CA4AD29F9AD.jpeg BB07A22E-D877-416D-9C98-6D087D2F2384.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
Nope. Ribbed side down, sits level. Front edge on top of upper fireback, rear edge on the little ledge on the back casting. Push it all the way left. Stove will work fine without it too, just sayin'...