VC WinterWarm Large Insert Model 2100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pockey

Jul 26, 2021
North Ga.
Damper will not close completely. It keeps hanging on right end against the metal up inside there. I have tried to reach up in there with small grinder as best I could, but does not solve the problem. I cannot tell if the damper itself is warped and needs replacing or whether the problem is a warping alongside where the damper opens. I am contemplating whether to pull out the insert (dreaded weight) and see if I can better access the problem from topside. Would anyone out there have a clue or ever experienced such a thing? Thanks for any insight

Could be the damper is warped or that the pivot is worn. I agree with avoiding random grinding. This is going to take a good examination of the mechanism to see where the failure is occurring. Woodmans has parts for this unit.

Could be the damper is warped or that the pivot is worn. I agree with avoiding random grinding. This is going to take a good examination of the mechanism to see where the failure is occurring. Woodmans has parts for this unit.
good to know about the parts. But I would need to remove insert, correct? Damper may be warped, can't really tell from looking up inside. I do know that it needs a new gasket; plus I've never changed the cat., since operating early '90s. Do you know on this unit, that I could exam the mechanism, replace gasket, plus new damper if needed, all from the top once I pull it out??? Thanks for any input

Moderator @DAKSY may be able to help on what is required. I think he used to work on the VC line.

I hear ya, me too, this is an oldie. There was a rebuild thread about 15 yrs ago but I can't find it now. I would think that the rebuild would be done from the inside. @defiant3 any thoughts? pockey I suggest you also give Woodmans a call and see if they have some pointers and also check the running VC thread here: