Veggie Oil For Chainsaw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stihl bar oil only? Nonsense.

Farm store brands and Poulan have worked just fine for me and countless others, and sometimes are even more tacky than Stihl or Husqvarna branded oil. Any dedicated bar oil (oil with tackifiers) that you can get to sling off the end of your bar tip should be fine.

Reactions: DUMF
Wow, who woulda believed a thread on discussing which veg oil for saws. I am shocked, shocked.!!!!!!
For the next topic: which fuel to use ( non fossil ) IN the saw.:confused:

I only use extra virgin olive oil from the Calabria region of Italy for bar oil in my Poulan.

I only use extra virgin olive oil from the Calabria region of Italy for bar oil in my Poulan.

Calabria? You must be a beginner!

Here is your authoritative guide for the best olive oil to suit your saw since no two saws share the same tastes.

Oils from the Liguria and northern Italy tend to be light, buttery, and sweet. They work well for smaller saws and trimming.

Oils from Tuscany, Umbria, and Lazio in central Italy are more assertive. Wonderful for pro Stihl saws 50cc and larger.

Southern oils from Sicily and Puglia are vibrant and crisp. They pair well with Huskies and Dalmar.

Now you have seen everything. _g:rolleyes:;lol

That Poulan has done fine every since 1991 with Calabria. And it works well with the veal too.

old yaller.jpg

Reactions: TreePointer
You seem to know a lot about olive oil except for the most important thing in this application. Olive oil has a low smoking temperature. You don't use it to fry chicken. I would think the same principle would apply with high temperature chainsaw use.

In Germany where they have 80 brands of veggie oil and tackiness additives they use canola oil not olive.

If you want to try it you should get stihl veggie oil which is expensive or plain canola oil. The advantage is you don't ingest a toxic mist and with every 5 or 6 chainsaw outings you don't dump 2 quarts of petroleum oil in the woods.

Olive oil has a low smoking temperature. You don't use it to fry chicken. I would think the same principle would apply with high temperature chainsaw use.
I'm pretty sure the whole olive oil thing is a joke. BTW, the smoke point is just under 400, so if your bar is that hot, you've got real problems. I guess I'll have to take my IR gun out tomorrow and check it.

You eat veal ?
I think he means that he uses his PoulanPro to cut the veal. What else would you use it for???;lol;lol
I don't eat veal but I've got lamb chops on the broiler tonight. Bahhhhh.

OK lets hear from the " I cook my veal with used Rotella crowd"

Ya Gold Label was the stuff. It was like 3 times the price of other 2 stroke race oil. Brings to mind several scars, a limp and a lot of fun back in the day. Does it put out that same killer smell as the two strokes? When you say top end lube I figure your putting a little in the gas?
Yup I run it in the gas it's a weaker mixture for two stroke obviously but it does raise octane and provide upper cylinder lube. We saw 2hp on a direct back to back Dyno run.

New thread:
THE 12 STEP 2 STROKE WITHDRAWAL
How I went from petroleum to Calabria Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my 372.

Olive oil has a low smoking temperature. You don't use it to fry chicken. I would think the same principle would apply with high temperature chainsaw use.

OK, did the test today on some 18" black cherry. After cutting 3 rounds with my 18" 026, then measuring with an IR gun, my bar/chain was 135 to 145 ::F and hit a max of 155 right where the bar meets the saw.
Soooo ... use all the olive oil you want, it won't smoke. Of course, it will cost way more than chain oil but some of you guys have money to burn. ;)

All a question and we will answer.

Reactions: saskwoodburner
The main purposes of bar oil are to keep friction and wear down on the metal to metal parts. Those would be the chain to bar and chain to sprocket.

I run my saw in mostly colder temps...under 40F. I have a hard time believing that very sticky and thick bar oil lubricates better than used 5W40 and 10W30 full synthetic, in those conditions. How much does it really need to stick? My chain is always wet with oil and I could pull it right off the saw and it would never rust...because it is coated in high quality oil. I wear the teeth off my chains from sharpening and then I throw them away. I'm on a stock sprocket and bar on my Echo 450CS and I have cut at least 10 cord and cut countless amounts of brush and dirty wood.

Dangerous oil mist? If you are scared of that, what do you think burn oil and gas mixed together does to you?

Reactions: AmbDrvr253
what do you think burn oil and gas mixed together does to you?
I can guarantee you that it gets my wife angry when I walk into the house smelling of chainsaw!!!

Wow, who woulda believed a thread on discussing which veg oil for saws. I am shocked, shocked.!!!!!!
For the next topic: which fuel to use ( non fossil ) IN the saw.:confused:
I'm a purist--I use a wood-fired saw! :)

But actually, I use a rechargeable battery-powered chainsaw...and I'm not too far from the North Anna nuclear power plant...so I might actually be running a NUCLEAR-POWERED saw! Bonus: It glows in the dark, so I can cut at night. Haha, top that! >>

I'm a purist--I use a wood-fired saw! :)

But actually, I use a rechargeable battery-powered chainsaw...and I'm not too far from the North Anna nuclear power plant...so I might actually be running a NUCLEAR-POWERED saw! Bonus: It glows in the dark, so I can cut at night. Haha, top that! >>

Kinda like the guy that made and burnt an oak wood stove.....get it ? Drum roll please.

Hasufel does me one better with his electric saw. No exhaust pollution to breathe in. He should use canola for the bar and chain and have a pollution free saw.

They say his greenworks saw is equivalent to 45 cc gas. It weighs about the same as a 45 and costs about the same. I didn't know they have come this far. I would consider it but I have a Jred 40. I'm looking for a 55 or 60 for the bigger trees.

Newcomers should check out the greenworks.

Reactions: Hasufel
Hasufel does me one better with his electric saw. No exhaust pollution to breathe in. He should use canola for the bar and chain and have a pollution free saw.

They say his greenworks saw is equivalent to 45 cc gas. It weighs about the same as a 45 and costs about the same. I didn't know they have come this far. I would consider it but I have a Jred 40. I'm looking for a 55 or 60 for the bigger trees.

Newcomers should check out the greenworks.
With all due respect, electricity is not pollution free. While he isn't running gasoline through the saw, the electricity he is using is likely being generated by some sort of fossil fuel, namely coal.

I'm not a scientist I flunked out of engineering years ago. Thankfully. I have no interest in research. I can only make inferences.

My top inference is why is everyone excited about electric cars if they are as bad as gas?

I'm not a scientist I flunked out of engineering years ago. Thankfully. I have no interest in research. I can only make inferences.

My top inference is why is everyone excited about electric cars if they are as bad as gas?
I won't go as far as to make exact comparisons but my observation is simply that folks driving electric cars, in general, have something against the notion of 'big oil'. The idea that gasoline is an evil driven product that pollutes our environment and harms our country. I'm saying these things as they have been said to me. These folks feel like if they remove themselves from physically putting gasoline into their cars, they don't play a role in that dynamic. However, they don't realize that plugging the vehicle in draws on plenty of energy also produced by fossil fuels pulled up from inside the earth and burned into the air, despite the scrubbing that occurs in the exhaust portion of the process. In addition, the enormous, disposable, and short lived batteries those vehicles run on are extreme environmental hazards.

why is everyone excited about electric cars if they are as bad as gas?
Actually, sales of electric cars are far below expectations if you read independent analysis. Only the people buying them and selling them are excited. IMHO they are more of a status symbol and I think a lot of buyers have their 'real' car parked in the garage.
If I had money burning holes in my pocket, I'd buy one and plug it into the solar panel system I can't afford either.

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Thought this thread had died, now the off topic of electric cars !
Can we get back to the serious discussion of the KIND of Virgin Olive Oil to use as bar oil as Bart has explained.
And, "you eat veal" ?

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Im going to stick to my used motor oil. That smell of extra virgin would just make me hungry. Someone would find me lying in the woods passed out and burping from drinking it.......LOL:p;em

I won't go as far as to make exact comparisons but my observation is simply that folks driving electric cars, in general, have something against the notion of 'big oil'. The idea that gasoline is an evil driven product that pollutes our environment and harms our country. I'm saying these things as they have been said to me. These folks feel like if they remove themselves from physically putting gasoline into their cars, they don't play a role in that dynamic. However, they don't realize that plugging the vehicle in draws on plenty of energy also produced by fossil fuels pulled up from inside the earth and burned into the air, despite the scrubbing that occurs in the exhaust portion of the process. In addition, the enormous, disposable, and short lived batteries those vehicles run on are extreme environmental hazards.
Of course, even electric cars are made from caustic battery acids, in facilities that are run off of fossil fuels, and are covered in plastic....made from oil.

It is good to be a caretaker of this universe we have. But stick to the facts, eh? :)

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
OK you win: What is the connection between a Tesla and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Calabrian) ?
And, who really can afford one ?
Not trick questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.