Vehicle tires produce more particulate matter than their tailpipes do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Snow?? Heck no! I've only even ever been caught in the rain twice in six years with it, both times because our forecasts were wrong.

Unless something has changed in the last few years, that's the only tire that meets the factory spec of that car (106Y). Of course, I'm not racing it, I could get away with Nittos... but the price difference isn't so much that I really care to bother with them.
Not sure what size(s) you need but the Teslas now have many more options than they did several years ago for XL load range tires. Not saying it’s great but you have choices.

Reactions: Ashful
Snow?? Heck no! I've only even ever been caught in the rain twice in six years with it, both times because our forecasts were wrong.

Unless something has changed in the last few years, that's the only tire that meets the factory spec of that car (106Y). Of course, I'm not racing it, I could get away with Nittos... but the price difference isn't so much that I really care to bother with them.
Lol, I have forgotten more about performance tires than most people know about their own spouse. Nitto makes some good tires. The 106Y spec is just so they can get Pirelli to make an OEM tire for it. You think I'm going to suggest some grandma all-season? I used to race, competitively, on the best tires. What's your tire size? I can pick out a few options that will make those stupid Pirellis feel like Low Rolling Resistance tires.

I'm also assuming you are on 20" wheels, which further limits your tire choices.

If you go down to 19", there are a lot more available tires, like these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire... Alternate Design&partnum=03WR9GFRS&tab=Sizes

I know you will say "but those aren't rated 106Y" to which I say, people take these tires on tracks a lot faster and harder than you will ever go.

I would never buy a Pirelli tire unless it was a spec tire for a series.

Even these Yokohamas are better than the P Zero's you have now.

I live on a gravel road, and I regularly get 50 - 60K from a set of Michelin's. My rule of thumb is, if they are getting close to the wear bar before winter I will change them out. If it's spring time, then I'll ride on them until I hit or get close to the wear bar and Costco has Michelin's on sale.

Granny only drives on Michelin's ( that's probably another topic for another day ) :)

Reactions: begreen and semipro
What's your tire size? I can pick out a few options that will make those stupid Pirellis feel like Low Rolling Resistance tires.
Cool. I appreciate that. I'll PM you with the details, so as to not derail the thread (any more than I already did). If it's interesting to others, I guess we could always re-post to another thread.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Cool. I appreciate that. I'll PM you with the details, so as to not derail the thread (any more than I already did). If it's interesting to others, I guess we could always re-post to another thread.
I’m always up for learning something new. So one vote for a new thread.

I’m always up for learning something new. So one vote for a new thread.
I'd support that too if not for any other reason than to hear about what kind of racing @SpaceBus did. ;)

Reactions: sloeffle
Okay guys. Quoted the above into a new thread:

Closing thread. New thread on the worst tires for particulates is more appropriate for the Inglenook. There's nothing green about it.

Reactions: sloeffle and Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.