Vendor-Bender

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
Vendor-Bender: As in, I want to suggest we bend Hearth/ Forum rules a little bit.

I generally _really_ value the fact that sales pitches and huckstering are verboten in the forums. I think it increases the quality & integrity of the information exchange [and I simultaneously [loudly] applaud people like HR, Heaterman, Tom in Maine, Tarm Sales Guy, and others who I may not be thinking of who are 'in the trade' and generously share their knowledge and experience with no commercial push attached].

That all said, it strikes me that there are some really interesting high efficiency wood boiler designs (the Varmebaronen and Effecta come to mind; Viessman too- and I expect there are others I don't even know of yet) that are in one way or another innovative beyond the bounds of most of what we have seen so far in the US-- but we're in a catch-22: they're only beginning to be distributed/ marketed, which means few detailed photos from installer-users-- and the lack of information on what might become sought-after features slows advancement of new and different designs in moving the market. Pellet boilers seem in the same category-- there are apparently scads of different makes and models in Europe, yet we barely know about them here (I have friends who are highly interested in pellet boilers, but there seem to be few choices and little information about them).

Since these have barely hit the market, if at all, here in the US, no one but those associated with the products is in a position to educate us about up and coming technologies and features. It's be in the interest of both consumers and resource conservation for the US market for these products to become more diverse, more quickly.

So here's what I'd like to ask/ propose: a rule-bend authorization from Webmaster Craig and the moderators, to allow postings in the boiler room, by manufacturers and vendors, of:

1) Quality photos with brief identifying fact-based text of products [wood/ biomass boilers, heat storage, and useful auxiliary system parts] and close-ups/ text descriptions of unique/ particular sub-components/ features.

2) Links to literature (brochures, specification sheets, and operating manuals).

3) Ways (contacts) to learn more about a given product.

Limit this to products that have not yet entered mainstream/ wide distribution here in the US, and have a condition that a post may be pulled if/ when a product is actually being marketed/ sold on a significant or rapidly growing scale.

Well, those are my thoughts, for what it's worth. Given the factors I try to describe above, I think the "general good" of promoting innovation and efficiency can be accelerated by a slight/ careful bending of the rules on this.

Good post and this will be hopefully a good problem to have. With the new (to the US) boilers starting to come over, it's pretty exciting to see what is actually out there in the world for home heating.

I think this is a good idea as long as dealers are not just looking for free advertisement.

Maybe a separate forum for new products. It would need a disclaimer to not believe every thing stated and to do research. I'm sure that with the knowledge and experience here that the products that don't produce would get called out fairly fast. This bringing up new products are being advertised under the table here anyway disguised as posters and that is even more misleading to people. I respect the people who may have an interest in a product and are open about it and then share there knowledge. I've also noted that the ones that advertise here started out by sharing there knowledge and in doing so have seen that it has helped sell there product. The fly by nighters have gone by the wayside.
leaddog

woodsmaster said:
I think this is a good idea as long as dealers are not just looking for free advertisement.

Free? What's the time I spend helping out people here worth? It took me and others like me a lot of years and $$.$$ to get to the point where I can share the knowledge we have pertaining to all things hydronic. For those of us in the trades our time is our money same as any professional service.

Not picking a fight here but I would like to make a point that if such a section is opened up here, there should be a distinction made between those of us who are here to help and pay our dues and those who are merely taking advantage of the site and its traffic. It would be a difficult thing to police.

I personally think there is a huge market here in the States for these high efficient user friendly boilers, etc. It almost makes me sick knowing the technology is out there but for some reason it just hasn't become a viable item here yet....Maybe its being blocked by big oil, maybe it just costs too much I don't know but either way I agree we need this technology here. It is the future for anyone that heats with solid fuel.

I personally am tired of being controlled by big oil and service companies that just do what they want to you whenever they feel the need to increase profits. We as a consumer have no rights anymore, we get no respect and its getting old. Sorry but I am 29 and I have a long life ahead of me and I want it to be the best it can be. I realize this is sort of off topic but in some ways I feel it goes with it at the same time. Getting info and learning is the step in the right direction. Maybe that will give us a new step to actually being able to use and purchase these units with the affordability near a tolerable level.

Good topic!

Businesses already have a forum to introduce new products and a vehicle to keep their name before a targeted audience and it exists in the banners on the top and bottom of these screens. The revenue from these ads provide us with a wonderful forum that is informative and entertaining to many people and hopefully puts a little loose change in Craig's pocket. The forum is made so much better with knowledgeable contributors such as Heaterman who are willing to share a small portion of their knowledge with the members. If advertising here is beyond the reach of a small dealer or sales outlet, perhaps they could contact the companies they are representing and request some co-operative advertising. Pybyr's suggestion makes alot of sense until you stop and think that a person in business that has stuck his neck out and plunked down several $$$$$ deserves to get compensated for his move.

heaterman said:
woodsmaster said:

Free? What's the time I spend helping out people here worth? It took me and others like me a lot of years and $$.$$ to get to the point where I can share the knowledge we have pertaining to all things hydronic. For those of us in the trades our time is our money same as any professional service.

Not picking a fight here but I would like to make a point that if such a section is opened up here, there should be a distinction made between those of us who are here to help and pay our dues and those who are merely taking advantage of the site and its traffic. It would be a difficult thing to police.

I agree 100%

pybyr said:
Vendor-Bender: As in, I want to suggest we bend Hearth/ Forum rules a little bit.

I generally _really_ value the fact that sales pitches and huckstering are verboten in the forums. I think it increases the quality & integrity of the information exchange [and I simultaneously [loudly] applaud people like HR, Heaterman, Tom in Maine, Tarm Sales Guy, and others who I may not be thinking of who are 'in the trade' and generously share their knowledge and experience with no commercial push attached].

That all said, it strikes me that there are some really interesting high efficiency wood boiler designs (the Varmebaronen and Effecta come to mind; Viessman too- and I expect there are others I don't even know of yet) that are in one way or another innovative beyond the bounds of most of what we have seen so far in the US-- but we're in a catch-22: they're only beginning to be distributed/ marketed, which means few detailed photos from installer-users-- and the lack of information on what might become sought-after features slows advancement of new and different designs in moving the market. Pellet boilers seem in the same category-- there are apparently scads of different makes and models in Europe, yet we barely know about them here (I have friends who are highly interested in pellet boilers, but there seem to be few choices and little information about them).

Since these have barely hit the market, if at all, here in the US, no one but those associated with the products is in a position to educate us about up and coming technologies and features. It's be in the interest of both consumers and resource conservation for the US market for these products to become more diverse, more quickly.

So here's what I'd like to ask/ propose: a rule-bend authorization from Webmaster Craig and the moderators, to allow postings in the boiler room, by manufacturers and vendors, of:

1) Quality photos with brief identifying fact-based text of products [wood/ biomass boilers, heat storage, and useful auxiliary system parts] and close-ups/ text descriptions of unique/ particular sub-components/ features.

2) Links to literature (brochures, specification sheets, and operating manuals).

3) Ways (contacts) to learn more about a given product.

Limit this to products that have not yet entered mainstream/ wide distribution here in the US, and have a condition that a post may be pulled if/ when a product is actually being marketed/ sold on a significant or rapidly growing scale.

Well, those are my thoughts, for what it's worth. Given the factors I try to describe above, I think the "general good" of promoting innovation and efficiency can be accelerated by a slight/ careful bending of the rules on this.
I think most of this information is already available through the vendors that advertise on the top & bottom of the page.
It wouldn't really be fair to the long time advertisers. It looks like there is plenty of room if the new companies want to put an ad in.
Recently there was a thread on here with someone having difficulties with a certain brand of boiler and some of the posts IMO weren't so much about helping him. They were more about "Your boiler doesn't do this but My new one does"

Sure some of the new stuff has some pretty nice features that most of us would like to have.
I say if you're selling them run an ad and show us.

heaterman said:
woodsmaster said:

Just want to preface this with the statement that I dont think anyone is accusing anyone of anything here, just that it is possibly open to abuse & yes would add to the load for the mods/admin people.

Also BTW a heck of a good idea that I hope gets some traction as I feel it would benefit the group as a whole.

Have to agree with Heaterman on this point. This site is great & has a great many dedicated members (many of whom are pros-trades people) most of whom help when they can..... essentially providing a service that they would normally charge money for.

BTW I avoid the DIY home building forums like the plague as no sooner than I have posted trying to help someone say 1000 or more miles away, someone will jump in saying I am using the board for my own personal gain....seriously when did they ever pay for someone to travel that distance to fix their building issues. 100 miles maybe but 1000 you have got to be kidding.

Same applies to the pros that are on this Boiler Room. The vast majority of the time (likely well over 95%) the person they are trying to help is wayyyyy out of their service area. No way they will ever see anything more than sore finger tips from typing or trying to (most of us in the trades have fat fingers) makes typing tough, or frustration at trying to trouble shoot a problem that is 1000 miles away that they cant see/touch/listen to. (Thats why there are so many requests for photos/drawings) as it makes the process of trying to help easier & less subject to error.

Sorry if this turned into a rant.

It's great to be able to see these new products, but I must agree that the advertisers that that pay need to be protected. The only problem I have is that in flyover land, we just don't have dealers around that stock boilers that we can see, touch , feel or talk to local s that have installed them. Personally I would love to have a better boiler as mine deteriorates daily, but I won't buy another that I can't first see in person. I do believe that most of the info on this site from users is mostly factual (see this always gets me in trouble, I want to trust people) but my wife trys to keep me in check. I really don't know of a stocking dealer of new technology boilers within a couple hours drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.