Veneer Brick Heat Shield - Mortar for Grout Joints

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

karl1989

Mar 4, 2020
SE Wisconsin, USA
Hi

I am building a veneer brick heat shield. I have installed my brick to Durock using Type S mortar. I now want to fill the joints with WHITE mortar but I cannot find any White Type S in my area. Can I use white thin set? Or does it have to be Type S? This is just for the joints.

Im hoping to use some color pigment to get my grout to match my creme brick.

My stove is a Jotul F500 V3 with rear heat shield and double wall pipe so I don't expect a ton of heat to transfer to the brick

Hi

I am building a veneer brick heat shield. I have installed my brick to Durock using Type S mortar. I now want to fill the joints with WHITE mortar but I cannot find any White Type S in my area. Can I use white thin set? Or does it have to be Type S? This is just for the joints.

Im hoping to use some color pigment to get my grout to match my creme brick.

My stove is a Jotul F500 V3 with rear heat shield and double wall pipe so I don't expect a ton of heat to transfer to the brick
Thinset will be very messy to use for pointing.

Maybe try this?

I found this, none of the other white Type S are available in my area (SE Wisconsin)

Apparently their glass block mix is Type S and is approved for use with veneer brick/stone

Commercial masonry contractor here. Type S will work on thin brick for the joints no problem , but In almost all circumstances type n mortar is specced as veneer mortar for full bed depth brick because of its lower compressive strength. We always use type s for cmu walls and sometimes type m for block foundations. Type m is stupid sticky and royal pain to work with. Also overkill since foundations in this area are always grouted solid with high strength concrete that makes the mortar moot.

The fact that you installed the brick to the Durock with type S does not mean you have to use type s for the joints. Type n will work fine in the joints and since it is normally what is used In veneers is more likely what you will find readily in a variety of colors. A builder supply that deals with concrete and masonry contractors should have a selection. For a true white mortar you need white silica sand.

For future reference I would recommend thin brick or engineered stones veneer (or any product that we refer to as lick and stick) be adhered with a polymer modified veneer mortar. If none is readily available it is best to mix in a bonding agent like acrylic 60 for long term adhesion assurance.

Reactions: spudman99