Help Choosing Product for Mortar Repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adamyoung80

Dec 30, 2023
Nashville TN
I've owned my current home for (4) years and had the fireplace cleaned last year. The home was built in 1987 and I believe this is all original. I've yet to use the fireplace. Recently, while installing a chain screen some of the mortar or cement fell out between the exterior brick veneer and the steel firebox. What would a professional use to fix this? Should I chip it all away and replace the the entire joint?? Thanks in advance!
IMG_4050.jpg IMG_4051.jpg IMG_4049.jpg IMG_4047.jpg

Personally I would scrape all the loose stuff out, and then pack it as best as possible with mortar mix.

Any mortar will do but it will crack eventually, just too much difference in expansion and contraction. I typically use chambertech because it is a bit more flexible and resistant to cracking

Any mortar will do but it will crack eventually, just too much difference in expansion and contraction. I typically use chambertech because it is a bit more flexible and resistant to cracking
I would prefer to use the chambertech, but I'm only seeing $100+ larger containers. Would this work? It's premixed, so one less thing for me to goof on. Says it bonds to masonry and metal.

Screenshot 2023-12-31 214528.png

I would prefer to use the chambertech, but I'm only seeing $100+ larger containers. Would this work? It's premixed, so one less thing for me to goof on. Says it bonds to masonry and metal.

View attachment 321824
Just use regular mortar. Furnace cement is extremely brittle