Veneer in vaulted wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tc4589

Nov 5, 2018
so we recently pulled out the old fireplace we had and are installing. A wood burning stove. We have met all specs and are now about to start with the stone. We are going to be applying cement board over the drywall into the studs and also using liquid nails just for extra support. Will this be strong enough hold the weight of the stone?

Attachments

• 209CDC53-2E94-4327-89E3-50334E2879CB.jpeg
    209CDC53-2E94-4327-89E3-50334E2879CB.jpeg
    69.4 KB · Views: 141
Is there a reason why you are not removing the drywall first? Liquid nail or not it won’t change anything because gluing cement on carboard doesn’t make the cement much stronger

We were initially going to but we want the extra space from the wall for the trim we are gonna line it with

Follow the manufaturers instructions

Might want to read all of the label on Liquid nails. believe it has a heat range which the proximity of the stove will exceed

You might want to check and make sure your foundation is solid. Is there a basement or is this right on a slab? You are talking about thousands of pounds. Worth checking into. It looks like that is an outside wall...so you're likely right on the sill plate right there. Thats a good thing.

Putting that up on sheetrock sounds like a horrible idea. If it was me, i'd tear that out and put up cement board.

To do my cultured stone wall. I first covered the sheet rock wall with stucco wire mesh. This created a good base for the mud to adhere to. The screws holding the mesh went into studs. The nice thing was this didn't add any thickness to the wall.

Got into all done! Got the double walled chimney in and caulked and just got all the finishing touches done. It says I need to do two 20 minute 250 degree burns anyone know what’s the best thing to burn in that amount? Some thicker sticks I would assume

Attachments

• 710BF1B5-752E-4297-83C3-4275C564A847.jpeg
    710BF1B5-752E-4297-83C3-4275C564A847.jpeg
    117.4 KB · Views: 122