House reno update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Well I been busting my hump on the main house the last couple years, finally getting headway. I started one room at a time, but that was taking too long, and since I am the only one here, I jumped all over and the house is a disaster zone. But getting things done.

Master bedroom before & after, have to clean and get rid of crap I'm storing in there when I get the loft done.

Attachments

• MASTER BEDROOM BEFORE2.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM BEFORE2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 255
  • MASTER BEDROOM.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 244
  • MASTER BEDROOM6.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM6.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 254
  • MASTER BEDROOM5.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM5.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 258
  • MASTER BEDROOM SMALL CLOSET.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM SMALL CLOSET.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 252
  • MASTER BEDROOM FINISHED2.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM FINISHED2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 270
  • MASTER BEDROOM FINISHED.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM FINISHED.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 234
  • MASTER BEDROOM LARGE CLOSET FINISHED.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM LARGE CLOSET FINISHED.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 252
  • MASTER BEDROOM FINISHED SMALL CLOSET FINISHED.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM FINISHED SMALL CLOSET FINISHED.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 251
  • MASTER BEDROOM DURING.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM DURING.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 234
  • MASTER BEDROOM DURING2.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM DURING2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 244
  • MASTER BEDROOM DURING3.jpg
    MASTER BEDROOM DURING3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 229
Upstairs bathroom.

Attachments

• UPSTAIRS BATHROOM BEFORE.jpg
    UPSTAIRS BATHROOM BEFORE.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 246
  • UPSTAIRS BATHROOM BEFORE2.jpg
    UPSTAIRS BATHROOM BEFORE2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 221
  • UPSTAIRS BATHROOM DURING.jpg
    UPSTAIRS BATHROOM DURING.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 229
  • UPSTAIRS BATHROOM DURING2.jpg
    UPSTAIRS BATHROOM DURING2.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 204
  • UPSTAIRS BATHROOM.jpg
    UPSTAIRS BATHROOM.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 207
  • UPSTAIRS BATHROOM3.jpg
    UPSTAIRS BATHROOM3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 225
  • UPSTAIRS BATHROOM2.jpg
    UPSTAIRS BATHROOM2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 200
Guest bedroom

Attachments

• GUEST BEDROOM.jpg
    GUEST BEDROOM.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 205
  • GUEST BEDROOM2.jpg
    GUEST BEDROOM2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 190
  • GUEST BEDROOM3.jpg
    GUEST BEDROOM3.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 193
  • GUEST BEDROOM FINISHED.jpg
    GUEST BEDROOM FINISHED.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 189
  • GUEST BEDROOM FINISHED2.JPG
    GUEST BEDROOM FINISHED2.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 187
Damn kid. You have been busy. Looking great!

I dusted the coffee table this summer.

Stairs, loft, railing cool new lamp.
The previous homeowner built the place, and decided no lights were needed at the stairs.
Well, I found a path for wiring, and added switches, and a nightlight outlet and cool lamp.
I got rid of the fugly plastic orange lattice on the railings, and installed 1/2" conduit pipe horizontally.
I had a vision, and it came to life.

Attachments

• LOFT RAILING DURING.jpg
    LOFT RAILING DURING.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 20170826_172222.jpg
    20170826_172222.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 226
  • LOFT RAILING AFTER.jpg
    LOFT RAILING AFTER.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 224
  • STAIRS.jpg
    STAIRS.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 237
  • STAIRS6.jpg
    STAIRS6.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 212
  • STAIRS3.jpg
    STAIRS3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 236
  • STAIRS7.jpg
    STAIRS7.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 203
  • SAM_4389.jpg
    SAM_4389.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 181
The kitchen always was pretty nice, but the wallpaper backsplash had to go. Got this cool peel & stick polished stone, of course it wasn't as easy as just peel & stick, but not bad, expensive though.

Attachments

• KITCHEN DURING.jpg
    KITCHEN DURING.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 205
  • KITCHEN AFTER.jpg
    KITCHEN AFTER.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 215
  • BACKSPLASH FINISHED.jpg
    BACKSPLASH FINISHED.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 200
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
What room is the 30 going into?

I had to halt on the loft & flooring up there, to get the fireplace brick covered FINALLY!
I got the lath up today. Got a great deal on real stone veneer panels on Facebook market, and hope to get started on that this week or at least next weekend. I Have enough bamboo flooring to do the entire house except for the areas tiled. Carpet is all going or soon to be gone. Needless to say, I am burning oil at the moment. It is hard not to light a fire, I am fighting a primal urge LOL. But hopefully in a couple weeks the stone with be up and fire blazing. One photo is the stone setting against the wall with the flooring. Will be sweet when finished.

I tried to use paint remover on the hearth. Some may remember the gray paint on top, and the copper paint on the edges. Well after trying to strip, no go, wire wheel, no go, got a poly wheel at harbor freight and wallah, down to stone. I used a brass wire wheel on the edges and it got the paint off and gave it an almost steel looking color. May just seal as it, or stain & seal. The mantle showing is what the heart used to look like. I will also be covering the wood mantle with a distressed wood mantle which will be boxed over top of the stone mantle. Right now, just want to get the stone on so I can fire the bioch up.

Oh, the gray on top of the hearth came off with stripper and a scraper, but there was copper paint underneath, stripper would not touchy it. The poly wheel did. I dusted the entire house out LOL. Good thing the lil woman isn't here to see that.

Attachments

• FIREPLACE.jpg
    FIREPLACE.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 226
  • MANTLE.jpg
    MANTLE.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 219
  • HEARTH.jpg
    HEARTH.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 218
  • STONE.jpg
    STONE.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 207
  • STONE2.jpg
    STONE2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 198
What room is the 30 going into?
Not sure I am going to install it, I may sell it, install it, or take it with me.
This is the room it was supposed to go in.

Attachments

• SANY0003.JPG
    SANY0003.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 207
  • SANY0001.JPG
    SANY0001.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 175
  • SAM_2778.jpg
    SAM_2778.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 169
Take it with you? Going West young man?

really nice work! where out west you headed? That is a lot of stuff to tackle! I love the wood work!

I like that bathroom :)
The bathroom was real sad prior to the reno. Stick on vinyl floor tiles, no base moulding. Dated oak vanity with builder grade top. I reused the toilet cause I wasn't pulling the shower out. The are both a peachy almond color> When the walls were painted peach(prior homeowner) the fixtures looked pink. With the tongue & groove it looks more almond. I like the way it turned out. Luxury vinyl floating locking planks on floor, look like wood, but waterproof. The stuff they come up with these days is amazing.

Washington, Methow Valley area
really nice work! where out west you headed? That is a lot of stuff to tackle! I love the wood work!

I really love that area. We go there quite often on our way to camping as it’s our somewhat halfway point. It’s become quite the tourist area though as Winthrop is a stopping point for sightseers going across hwy 20 and doing the cascade loop. So summers can get busy on the weekends. Winter time is nice cause hwy 20 gets shut down till spring.

And if you don’t know someone there will tell you but they pronounce Methow as Met how.

Sorry for the derail. Beautiful remodel by the way.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

I really love that area. We go there quite often on our way to camping as it’s our somewhat halfway point. It’s become quite the tourist area though as Winthrop is a stopping point for sightseers going across hwy 20 and doing the cascade loop. So summers can get busy on the weekends. Winter time is nice cause hwy 20 gets shut down till spring.

And if you don’t know someone there will tell you but they pronounce Methow as Met how.

Sorry for the derail. Beautiful remodel by the way.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Compared to what I am used to, even during tourist season is not too bad. Unless you go to Chelan, that place gets crowded. I am already versed in the proper pronunciation LOL, as well as many others out there. We have an Ephrata here, but here is is pronounced like Efreta, we say roof, they say ruff. There is plenty of town & city names there I am still trying to get right.
Thanks for the comps.

Good stuff, Hog. You're a man after my own heart, going after everything at once. Every single room, including the barn and yard, is in a state of semi-demolition/semi-completion.

I started with getting the stove and liner in when we moved in, because I knew I'd go nuts if I didn't have a fire going during the winter, particularly with all the wood lying around here. Have made some more progress on the stove room, but other projects keep cropping up that require more immediate attention.

Since then we've put on a new roof and resided the dormers, installed a new water heater (the old one failed and made the cellar a mess), replaced the 100 amp breaker box with a shiny new 200 amp box, replaced the bathroom plumbing, and just last weekend replaced the laundry room plumbing and faucet after everything started to leak.

My biggest distractions are the wood pile, yard, and garden. Keeping everyone warm and fed seems to distract them from all the messes, and as long as it looks ok from the outside, only the insiders see the chaotic mess.

Good stuff, Hog. You're a man after my own heart, going after everything at once. Every single room, including the barn and yard, is in a state of semi-demolition/semi-completion.

I started with getting the stove and liner in when we moved in, because I knew I'd go nuts if I didn't have a fire going during the winter, particularly with all the wood lying around here. Have made some more progress on the stove room, but other projects keep cropping up that require more immediate attention.

Since then we've put on a new roof and resided the dormers, installed a new water heater (the old one failed and made the cellar a mess), replaced the 100 amp breaker box with a shiny new 200 amp box, replaced the bathroom plumbing, and just last weekend replaced the laundry room plumbing and faucet after everything started to leak.

My biggest distractions are the wood pile, yard, and garden. Keeping everyone warm and fed seems to distract them from all the messes, and as long as it looks ok from the outside, only the insiders see the chaotic mess.
It never ends,trust me. One project turns into 5 every time I touch something around here. I'd like to strangle the previous owner.

Reactions: vinny11950
Every time I find electrical issues from the previous owner, I think he was trying to burn down the place.
I know the previous owner of mine, and am convinced this was the case.
20140905_000101.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hogwildz
Well, I was going to buy a live edge slab to rabbit out and set over the old flagstone mantle. Slab was $75.00, not bad at all, but the lumber yard was not interested in routing out the bottom so I could set it over the old stone.
I decided to build my own mantle beam. Did a little research(beauty of the internet) and went to HD and bought two 1" x 10" x 10'ers and a 1" x 6" x 10'er. all pine lower trim grade boards. I like knots and such, and I am cheap, so it worked out good. About $49.00 if I remember correctly.

Should have done in progress shots, but started at about 8pm on Friday night and finished the installation about 9:00 am the next morning, straight through.

I cut the boards to length, then cut 45s on all the edges that would meet. I had an Oak round slab cookie about 2" thick by 20" or so diameter, and cut two ends for the beam out of the oak. 45'd the ends to mate to the pine ends. I wanted an end grain on the ends to make it look more real, and feel I accomplished that. Installed all together using Gorilla wood glue & 18g brad nails.
I did have to pack out the old hearth o top with 1/2 wafer board and 3/4" masonite to get eh 5" thickness. Attached those to the old hearth with tapcons, screwed the new top at the back which will be covered by the stone veneer. And went up through the bottom new bottom board with tapcons into the old stone hearth also.

I then took a 1" chisel along with my 5" orbital sander, and distressed the new wood beam. Adding wear tot the edges, a few insect tubes etc. Even took a screw and punched a bunch of small worn holes at the "bug eaten" edges I made. I also used the orbital to ground out around a couple front knots to accent the knots. A few hatched marks, screw marks etc. Lastly I chiseled 2 channels on top to give it that used wood barn beam look.

My first beam, and I surprised myself, as I am very happy with how it turned out. Looks like a real beam. At very close up, if you look hard enough, you can see a faint seam where the 1x edges meet, but overall, I love how it turned out, The satisfaction of making it and how well it came out is a really good feeling.

Now I have ideas for vertical timber beams all over the walls LOL.
Stained it Dark Walnut, and put 2 coats satin clean on, 2 more coats of satin to go.

Dimensions: 8'8" long x 9-1/2" deep x 5" thick
Attaching a pic of the old stone mantle as the before photo.

Attachments

• SAM_5776.jpg
    SAM_5776.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 167
  • SAM_5777.jpg
    SAM_5777.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 179
  • SAM_5778.jpg
    SAM_5778.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 185
  • SAM_5779.jpg
    SAM_5779.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 200
  • SAM_5780.jpg
    SAM_5780.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 180
  • SAM_5781.jpg
    SAM_5781.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 174
  • SAM_5782.jpg
    SAM_5782.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 190
  • SAM_5783.jpg
    SAM_5783.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 153
  • SAM_5784.jpg
    SAM_5784.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 180
  • SAM_5785.jpg
    SAM_5785.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 150
  • SAM_5786.jpg
    SAM_5786.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 181
  • SAM_5791.JPG
    SAM_5791.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 166
  • SAM_5787.JPG
    SAM_5787.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 191
  • SAM_5788.JPG
    SAM_5788.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 178
  • SAM_5789.JPG
    SAM_5789.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 149
  • SAM_5792.JPG
    SAM_5792.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 178
  • SAM_5793.JPG
    SAM_5793.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 190
  • SAM_5794.JPG
    SAM_5794.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 164
  • SAM_5795.JPG
    SAM_5795.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 144
  • SAM_5796.JPG
    SAM_5796.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 166
  • SAM_5797.JPG
    SAM_5797.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 194
  • SAM_5626.JPG
    SAM_5626.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
I made the cracks with a knife and chisel.

Man, you have been super busy. It looks great!

I was up there last summer doing trail work. Sounds like I'll be up to visit you next year!