Venting an Old Fisher Insert Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afolsomb17

Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2010
Central Indiana
I am looking for some suggestions on venting my old Fisher wood burning insert. Back in the gas crunch time of the seventies my father bought 2 wood burning inserts for our fire places. Both had a blower/hot air exhaust on them and they where vented out by the homes chimney. Over time the chimneys built up a volatile amount of creosote and voila my parents had your proverbial chimney fire. After the fire dep. extinguished the flames my father decided to have the chimney inspected and guess what? The subsequent chimney inspection video showed cracks all over on the level of the fire on the second floor . I know that these cracks are dangerous for letting heat and exhaust fumes wiggle there way into various parts of the home along the chimney, but I would still like to use the fire place in our basement. (see photo of basement fire place)

I have researched for chimney inserts that could travel the thirty or so feet from the firebox to the exhaust vent on the roof ---- cheap ---- but I do not like highness. the other option I saw was to re pour a new chimney with concrete and vermiculite, but that costs too much and the pumper cement truck would have to park on a swimming pool.

Then the wife and I where at our local super hardware store today and saw some literature for venting fireplaces horizontally. AHA a way to negotiate the chimney flue below the crack (thus avoiding costly repairs)

So I am wondering if anyone has done this before? What did you do with the old chimney holes on the roof? How does one go about pulling the insert out and attaching new smoke stacks and reinserting the the fire box? And anything else I should know or research.

Thanks for you all your time. And take a look at some of the pics I sent they show the outside of the chimney and just above the ground where if possible I would like to come out with the new flue.

Attachments

• Venting an Old Fisher Insert Stove
    photo(3).jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 170
    photo(4).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 172
    photo(5).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 197
    photo(6).jpg