Venting/chimney question installation question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everhard

Sep 9, 2014
Ontario
Hello all! Another new guy here, usual spec been lurking for a while..

Here's my situation - just purchased a Drolet Austral, it's going in a room with a vaulted ceiling with it's back to the outside wall that the ceiling slopes upwards on. (if that makes sense..) My original intent was to go straight up with the vent pipe, thru the cathedral ceiling straight into the chimney - the perfect scenario. total height from hearth to cap would be around 21' roughly.
Well a quick check seems to show that there's a joist right in the middle of where I want to go up... (I'm trying to keep the stove as tight to the wall as is allowed.) so my question is what is the best way to do this install?

1: Move the stove away from the wall and go straight up. (hate to take up more space in the room by doing that.)
2: Is there a very shallow angled double wall vent pipe available that I haven't seen online? That would allow me to position the stove where I want it and still manage to avoid the joist?
3: Go straight up to the underside of the cathedral ceiling, then turn it 90 degrees and go out the exterior wall and then finish the chimney on the exterior wall just below the roof line. - Makes it more of a pain for cleaning obviously and I loose that nice straight line up to the cap...
4: Hmmm do installations ever cut right thru the joist therefore allowing a straight shot up thru the ceiling? I'd consider this but then I'd want to put bracing between the adjacent joists. Not sure if this would be a great idea structurally?

Any other options/opinions?

Thanks all,

E.

Well you could cut a joist but you need to make sure you add back that lost structure it will be very involved. If it were me i would either pull the stove out of offset the pipe. You absolutely don't want to go up to the ceiling and then out the wall. It will be a nightmare to maintain

You might be able to offset the pipe with back to back 45 deg angles. With 6" connector that would achieve a 6" offset. How large do you need? What stove is this?

That was my thinking that it would suck to maintain if I went out the wall. I still have to make accurate measurements but I think the joist is roughly 10 - 12 inches off the interior wall. (couldn't be in a worst spot! lol) I was hoping there was a vent pipe option which was less than a 45degree bend? (Trying to keep is straight as possible.) The stove is a Drolet Austral.

E.

Well it's done, I decided to let the joist dictate how much the stove is off the wall, in the end it's not that much further then planned and certainly means no issues for distances from combustibles. Took my time and got it all done in roughly 11 hours I guess. I used Selkirk doubled walled everything - vent/chimney, it was the brand that was easily available to me and the least expensive option, the supplied directions are reasonable. Given it looks good and meets all the necessary codes I am quite happy with it. Now just waiting to get my WETT certificate to keep the insurance company happy. :)
Looking forward to firing it up, not that I want winter to get here any time soon!!

E.

Pics or it didn't happen. :cool:

Inside.jpg Outside.jpg
Lol, ok... Well I had to delay a bit with the pic's as I finished last night and this morning there was a torrential downpour going on... On the bright side it appears I don't have any water leaks!

E.

Reactions: Cockshutt
Well thought I'd post up again here just for those considering a Drolet Austral stove - I'm very impressed with it! Admittedly my setup is about as perfect as it can be which should allow any stove to function pretty much as good as the manufacturer could hope for. While it's early days yet the Austral certainly is working better then I could have hoped for.
Had some cooler days/nights here just now getting down to -6c (or 21f) overnight and only getting up to just above freezing during the day. While it will be getting a lot colder I can already see a huge difference in how this stove performs vs the BIS Ultima insert I also have.
There is no question for anyone considering what size stove to go with I am totally on board with those that say go big. While I thought the BIS worked well, I'm shocked at how much longer the Austral will be giving off useable heat and how long it will go and still allow me to come back and load it up with nothing smaller than a maybe a couple smaller splits and then mostly medium to large chunks and off it goes. Today for example I was gone 12.5hrs and came back home to find lots of good hot coals, raked them up to the front tossed in a new load and it fired up right away. With the BIS while it also would have had a few tiny coals left it would have needed lots of fine kindling and careful placement and setup to get it to take and even then I might have needed some paper just to make sure it took. I always prided myself on getting it going again without a match but with the Austral I can see it will go much longer. The other bonus is overnight the house won't cool down as much and then in the morning it's much easier to get the fire going again.
Just to be clear while I've got the Austral I'm sure any stove of the same size would work similarly - the main point I'm belabouring is the clear advantage to the larger box. Of course anyone that is considering the Austral I have nothing bad to say about it at all. Yes it's a very simple looking stove, nothing fancy, certainly you can spend money and buy a much more beautiful stove but frankly for me I kinda like the simple look. The functionality is great, the by-pass feature is really nice, makes for smokeless starting or reloading. The damper works perfectly. The fan is good although certainly loud if on full but I find I haven't needed to dial it up past it's low setting anyway.
Overall I'm really happy with it all.

E.

Lol, ya I love it. Was trying to keep it a tiny bit objective for others out there debating what to do. But ya, I'm very happy with it, while I'm not looking forward to winter I am looking forward to how easily I'll be able to keep my home warm this year! :)

E.

Status
Not open for further replies.