Venting pellet stove through back of chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpoker

Feb 18, 2012
Bethesda MD
I'm in the throes of installing my pellet stove in a recently purchased home (Lopi Leyden - used in another home two seasons, with through wall installation).

At this point I'm all stove, no pipe (sort of like all hat, no cattle - heh, heh).

The reason: I want to vent the pellet stove pipe directly through a ground floor fireplace and the back of the chimney, rather than vent it up the chimney itself (reasons are many, but include the efficiency of a short horizontal pipe, ease of access to cleaning by me, etc.). The chimney is very solid, overbuilt (1950's), and no issues (inside or out).

Assuming I can either hire someone to do a masonry core or I core it myself (I'm a DIY guy, but if I can get a mason/cutter to core it for a reasonable price, all the better), are there any issues I should take into account? For example, I don't think that it matters much if there's a thimble (like on a through-wall installation). If I buy good quality stainless pipe, it probably won't rust out until after a lot of years where the brick moisture finally eats it away (maybe). I will install the necessary aesthetically pleasing elements, of course, like wall plates (exterior and interior), and caulk with high temp. sealant, etc.

Anything else to think about? (Clearances from windows are all code).

Thanks for any helpful ideas.

There is no reason I can think of that you can not do this. In fact I would do exactly that if I were in your shoes.

We have done it and it works great. Cleaning is a lot easier than with a liner.

Eric

It would be cheap to do on your own. Home Depot Renal Stores have Makita SDS units with many differnt sizes of core bits to choose from. I had to core through my basement cinder block wall (8"x16"x12" thick) to provide for my basement pellet stove. These drills are great and the rental fee was like $65 for the minimum increment. It literally took about 60 seconds to do the drilling. The bulk of my time spent was quadruple checking measurements to make sure everything was going to land in the right place.

Did an install like that overboring the block a bit and wrapped a couple turns of flat stove gasket on over some silicone that was allowed to cure with hose clamps to make sure it stuck. Removed the clamps and the gasketing stayed on the pipe nice and flat and snugged up the pipe in the block to keep bugs and any draft from entering. Would also keep the lime in the mortar from reacting on the pipe. But because it was single wall pipe it would freeze when we got extremely cold. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.