venting questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnoack

Jan 27, 2008
maine
I have an Enviro Empress with a through-the-wall installation. I have a Simpson duravent 3" pipe out 14" from the house with Simpson's 45 degree vent cap. I have read all of Rod's posts at the top of the forum, relating to how the stove should have been installed; however, given the current installation, changing over will be expensive; & as the stove is installed on the front of the house (maximum heat distribution), my wife is very opposed to vertical pipe (while she conveniently ignores the possible smoke issues.) Had I known what I know now, I would have considered vertical rise inside the house.

That said, This stove has nearly completely heated our two story house for the past month and a half on 1.4 bags of pellets a day (in Maine) - adding in the extra electricity - a savings of 40-50% over what it would have cost with oil. During that time we have lost power 3 times. Twice the stove was on low at the time & once it had shut down from continuous high heat about a minute before. We got only minimal smoke, one time when the barometric pressure was very low & it was raining very hard, & that cleared after opening a window for only a couple minutes. We are getting some sparks & soot through the vent. The sparks can be substantially reduced with better quality pellets & working the draft so that there is less air when the burn pot is near empty.

Questions: After burning about a ton & a half of pellets, I vacuumed the pipe. There was about a half to three quarters of an inch of soot on the bottom of the pipe through the length back to the stove. Is this normal? As the manual says to clean the pipe every 2 tons, I am assuming it is not too far out of range?

Will putting vertical rise on the pipe reduce this soot, or will it simply keep the soot from exiting the pipe?

With my ash vac, which has a plastic hose attachment about 18" long, I can clean the pipe all the way back to the stove. How often should the stove be disconnected from the vent pipe & actually vacuumed at the connection? Is there a clamp at the connector, or will pulling the stove off likely disturb the rest of the vent installation?

Finally, it appears that Simpson only make the 45 degree vent cap. Does anyone know of a flat style cap that will fit on the Simpson duravent pipe?

mark

I have about the same setup you do except I have a 45 degree elbow inside the house because it is a corner installation. Originally I had 3' of horizontal pipe on the outside of the house. After about a three weeks of use burning maybe 1/2 ton, I replaced the 3' length with a 2' length. I was surprised at the amount of ash in that 3' length of pipe. There was about 3/4" of ash in the pipe. I thoought that was unusual, but it's about the same as you. I think if I had a shorter length of horizontal pipe and then some vertical pipe most of the ash would end up in the bottom of the tee, but I'm not sure the stove would vent any better than it does now so as long as I don't start getting soot in the house, I probably won't change my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.