venting wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogmoose

Nov 21, 2013
Warwick, RI
Hey all,

So I finally purchased the parts to fix up my jotul 500. My location for the stove is supposed to be the breezeway, but it seems as though I have fallen into a bit of a jam. My house is a cape cod style house and the breezeway is off the house to the left. I wanted to kiddie corner the stove and have the stove pipe go up the ceiling and through the roof. Unfortunately, if I were to do that, I would have a pipe sticking up in the middle of my roof going up about 15 feet because it is within 10 feet of the next highest point. Right now I am only at about 7 and a half feet. I was hoping I was going to be able to go through the ceiling then angle it once in the attic space enough to get it to the 10 feet area. Any thoughts of how I could go about doing that. Where the 7 feet is it meets the start of the pitch of my garage roof so I don't know if I will be able to angle it to get to that point. My other question is, with my breezeway being off the garage, could I have the stovepipe go through the wall into the garage then up to the roof and out? The chimney piping would be exposed in the garage but I would be using triple insulated chimney pipe. My other option is to install it in the other side of the breezeway in the corner and have it go through the roof, but now it would be right next to the house, which I don't think would be an issue because of using triple wall piping but it would probably be passing a window. Any help with this would be great. I really want to be able to get the stove in the breezeway. To the right of the fridge is where I was going to put the stove originally. But if I can't angle it once in the attic to ten feet, or go through the garage, I'm not going to be able to put it there because I don't want to have a pipe sticking in the middle of the roof going 15 ft high

Michael

breezeway.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Offset tables listing rise and offset for chimney pipe are in most all chimney pipe catalogs. You can only use a 15 or 30 deg elbow for the class A pipe offset. From DuraVent - The maximum length of chimney pipe between elbows is not to exceed 72" (maximum of two chimney sections only)

PS: I am not following why it would go up 15'. It only needs to go up 15ft of total flue. 6 ft of that will be in the room itself. Then it sounds like there will be some in attic, not sure how much. But out the roof at that point would be what, 7'?

Example for DuraTech chimney
Screen Shot 2015-09-16 at 1.31.58 PM.png

Well it's gonna be coming outbid the roof 3 feet then I need another 10bfeet atleast bc it ha to go 3 ft higher then the highest point because it would be within 10 feet of the house horizontally

Where the stove would be placed.. Going through the ceiling. A 15 or 30 degree elbow wouldn't get me to the 10 feet area bc of how tight the area is in the attic

I thought that might be an issue. Sounds like it's time to regroup and consider the other options.

Possibly yes. Though code may require the chimney to be chased, not sure.

Or what if I still had t come out of the roof where I was going to have it. The put an elbow on having the pipe then be at 10 ft bc of the elbow but it's outside? Would that be ok

no you cannot offset above the roof line there is no way to support it. And why would you want to anyway?

Because as of now coming out of the roof it is within ten feet of the house.
So why do you need to offset? you just go 2 feet higher that anything with in 10 feet

How could u do it in the attic but not above the roof?
Because there is structure there to support the offsets. Once you are out of the roof there is no way to support it and it will fall over with out a doubt.

So that's my next question..could I vent it through the wall and into the garage then up through the roof
That would probably work but most areas will require the chimney to be enclosed in the garage.

How would you enclose the chimnet
You can enclose it with just about anything as long as you honor the clearance requirements. But you need to check your local codes. It may not be allowed in your area or they may have specific requirements for the chase around the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.