Ventis HEI240 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jskar

Feb 27, 2023
Virginia
Hello all,

First time poster long time creeper on these threads. I had a Ventis HEI240 installed in November and have had it running 24/7 ever since.

Something I’m curious about. I’ve seen many references to the doghouse at the front bottom of a lot of these inserts. I have a doghouse with a couple holes. I’ve hit it with a shop vac and still haven’t noticed any strong flow of air through it. I’m fact it’s seems like it does almost nothing. Anyone else have this doghouse seem like it does practically nothing?

How does the fireplace burn overall? About how tall is the chimney system on it?

How does the fireplace burn overall? About how tall is the chimney system on it?
Chimney is two stories and has always worked well. I get plenty of draft once it’s going. It’s the getting it going part that takes a little while and I know some of this is due to a current batch of less than optimal oak.

My main question/concern is the lack of strong noticeable airflow from the “doghouse”. I’ve never noticed a jet of air like other talk about coming from it. Even from day one.

Try splitting in half some 2x4 scraps, about 12" long, and place them parallel to the sides about 6-8" apart under the firewood so that the air can get underneath for easier starting.

I typically have my splits elevated to get air underneath. Still trying to figure out my initial question of should the doghouse be blasting air into the firebox or is it such a low flow that I won’t even notice it? I’ve never noticed a strong stream of air out of it. Not from day one nor if I vacuum out the holes on the doghouse

It is usually fed by a small hole. Definitely not a large powerful stream of air.

A small hole would have greater velocity. It seems like the designers chose lower velocity air, and 2 holes would further dilute the flow.