Ventless Log Set - Top Damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tosk82

Feb 15, 2019
Philadelphia
Hi Everyone - I am interested in converting a wood burning fireplace to ventless gas logs. This fireplace is in a basement, and i'd use it as a secondary heat source when the basement is in use during the winter.

This fireplace has no damper at the top of the firebox. It has a top damper, pull chain, pop-up style damper. My question is, in order to efficiently heat the basement should I seal the flu above the firebox? If so, how?

Thanks for your thoughts

I recommend you do not do what you want to do, and instead get a vented gas fireplace insert, which will be a lot safer than unvented equipment.

I think you will find that unvented equipment is not rated for heating purposes, but only for decoration, often with very limited number of minutes per hour of use permitted.

The simple fact is that the margin of safety for unvented equipment is quite narrow. If you were to READ, UNDERSTAND and FOLLOW ALL the warning that come with such equipment, it can very likely be used safely. But I never encountered a single such user who followed the guidelines of the manufacturer, and your desires very likely violate such warnings.