Q&A Ventless Logs be Vented?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Montgomery county , Maryland requires that the ventless gas logs be vented 1/2 inch? Given this fact would it be a waste of time to install a ventless log system in my below ground level masonry fireplace. Would this actually produce any heat with this much of a venting? I have a woodburning fireplace insert there now but my wife wants me to convert it to gas logs. We like the Temco.

Answer:

Larry You will still get a bunch of heat with the damper open 1/2 inch... If you really want a lot of heat- you can install a gas insert - and vent it up the chimney with a 4" liner--costs more but a more elegant long term solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.