VentPipe (exhaust) Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBrown

Jan 28, 2014
New Hampshire
This is an urgent situation as propane is proving to be double the cost than last year and availability is iffy. I just paid $663 for 29-days worth of propane heat for a 1000 sq foot house. So...I have to go pellet at this point. NO CHOICE and it MUST work.

I just ordered the 1,750 sq. ft. Pellet Stove from HomeDepot.
There is only one place it can be installed, and that is in the center of this 1800s one-room schoolhouse. The current stack in the center of the house is a modern 8" & 4" double-pipe.

The landlord want's to install the pellet stove, but he's wondering if the stove exhaust output can handle the 20-foot rise involved with this existing stack. He's concerned because "pellet stoves usually output exhaust straight-out...not up or down.

Have i hit a problem, or will this Pel Stove work with a 20' exhaust rise?

Input very much welcome and needed.

Look up the manual on net,will be in there.20 foot should not be a problem for any modern pellet stove.If that is an 8x4 round insulated all fuel,you should be able to hook right up.Make sure it is all fuel pipe.

Ah...thank you. I did find it there. It looks as if I'm ok, especially if the pipe diameter goes to 4," which I have, so...anxiety over. Thanks again.

Welcome to the site, we like to see install pictures. If your propain has only doubled your lucky. Reports of $5-6 here. Does not take long to get a payback of a pellet stove.

what type of vent pipe is 8 x 4? if it is made for wood stoves are the joint seals going to hold the pressure of the exhaust pushing out?

wood stoves work with a natural draft sucking exhaust out but pellet stoves push the exhaust out.

just wondering.

what type of vent pipe is 8 x 4? if it is made for wood stoves are the joint seals going to hold the pressure of the exhaust pushing out?

wood stoves work with a natural draft sucking exhaust out but pellet stoves push the exhaust out.

just wondering.
That's probably direct vent gas pipe. Not for pellets!

This is an urgent situation as propane is proving to be double the cost than last year and availability is iffy. I just paid $663 for 29-days worth of propane heat for a 1000 sq foot house. So...I have to go pellet at this point. NO CHOICE and it MUST work.

I just ordered the 1,750 sq. ft. Pellet Stove from HomeDepot.
There is only one place it can be installed, and that is in the center of this 1800s one-room schoolhouse. The current stack in the center of the house is a modern 8" & 4" double-pipe.

The landlord want's to install the pellet stove, but he's wondering if the stove exhaust output can handle the 20-foot rise involved with this existing stack. He's concerned because "pellet stoves usually output exhaust straight-out...not up or down.

Have i hit a problem, or will this Pel Stove work with a 20' exhaust rise?

Input very much welcome and needed.

There is an 8", "and" a 4 " double pipe?...or there is a 4" I.D. pipe, that is 8" O.D. ?

OK....I'm just to befuddled with capturing good indoor shots for now, but I will get them posted.
Let me just say this for now:

I was hemorrhaging cash (that I did not have) in order to keep this little 1835 skoolhouse "heated." It never has been what any reasonable person would call "warm." The cold spots were plentiful...everywhere! I was burning through an average of 146 propane gallons per 28-days....or 5.21 gal/day. All that to have an uncomfortably-cold house. The last propane bill destroyed my financial position for the foreseeable short future.

I WANT to leave New England right now! The ice is treacherous and can destroy your life if you fall. The cold can kill you, and battling it is now only for the people whom have adequate actual money. But I can't leave for six more years, as my kids are still in k-12, and I refuse to be away from them. So I was backed against a wall. The pellet stove HAD to work!

I had Home Despot deliver a Pleasant Hearth PH35P2. I had the hook-up hardware at the ready for the delivery. With adapters, twas a dream to install, and we have never detected even a hint of smoke upon start-ups or cruising-speed.

The end result: I'm heating this little-red rented skoolhouse with an average of 1.1 bags (40lb) per-day. The house is warm all-over! No cold spots. Nothing! So for $4.40/day I have a warm house throughout, vs. a cold and miserable place for $25/day (at january 2014 prices).

When My kids are not with me, I close-off their rooms (aka: 1835 "gymnasium and cafeteria") and just heat the open big room of the Kitchen and Living room. The pellet consumption then drops to .75 bags/day.

Now, because I was about to buy a house 6-miles away, I could not order any pellet-tonnage, as I don't want to move it all twice, so I fill my Jetta Waggon with 10 bags at-a-time, as needed.

With the supply problems and increased demand, I will post in the proper forum, an accounting of this dire situation in New England.

Reactions: TheUnknownKnows
I WANT to leave New England right now! The ice is treacherous and can destroy your life if you fall. The cold can kill you,
But the "spring" makes up for it!! ! My recommendation is don't make any decision now about where your going to live...(just like a woman making a decision about another child on the delivery table) Winter is the "price" we pay for the rest of the GREAT seasons we enjoy!!!

But the "spring" makes up for it!! ! My recommendation is don't make any decision now about where your going to live...(just like a woman making a decision about another child on the delivery table) Winter is the "price" we pay for the rest of the GREAT seasons we enjoy!!!
But a possible seven plus months of heating and snow? Last year we had several inches of snow on the 8th of May. March 2nd today and woke up to -20 with a high forecast of -4F. Everybody is getting a bit cranky. DSCN0302.JPG

Reactions: iceguy4
OK....I'm just to befuddled with capturing good indoor shots for now, but I will get them posted.
Let me just say this for now:

I was hemorrhaging cash (that I did not have) in order to keep this little 1835 skoolhouse "heated." It never has been what any reasonable person would call "warm." The cold spots were plentiful...everywhere! I was burning through an average of 146 propane gallons per 28-days....or 5.21 gal/day. All that to have an uncomfortably-cold house. The last propane bill destroyed my financial position for the foreseeable short future.

I WANT to leave New England right now! The ice is treacherous and can destroy your life if you fall. The cold can kill you, and battling it is now only for the people whom have adequate actual money. But I can't leave for six more years, as my kids are still in k-12, and I refuse to be away from them. So I was backed against a wall. The pellet stove HAD to work!

I had Home Despot deliver a Pleasant Hearth PH35P2. I had the hook-up hardware at the ready for the delivery. With adapters, twas a dream to install, and we have never detected even a hint of smoke upon start-ups or cruising-speed.

The end result: I'm heating this little-red rented skoolhouse with an average of 1.1 bags (40lb) per-day. The house is warm all-over! No cold spots. Nothing! So for $4.40/day I have a warm house throughout, vs. a cold and miserable place for $25/day (at january 2014 prices).

When My kids are not with me, I close-off their rooms (aka: 1835 "gymnasium and cafeteria") and just heat the open big room of the Kitchen and Living room. The pellet consumption then drops to .75 bags/day.

Now, because I was about to buy a house 6-miles away, I could not order any pellet-tonnage, as I don't want to move it all twice, so I fill my Jetta Waggon with 10 bags at-a-time, as needed.

With the supply problems and increased demand, I will post in the proper forum, an accounting of this dire situation in New England.
Something must have been wrong with that propane furnace. 5.2 gallons of propane is roughly about 3.5 gallons of heating oil, which when converted to pellets would be one and a half bags unless I did the math wrong. Either way, you are saving a Jackson a day, and staying warmer!

Something must have been wrong with that propane furnace. 5.2 gallons of propane is roughly about 3.5 gallons of heating oil, which when converted to pellets would be one and a half bags unless I did the math wrong. Either way, you are saving a Jackson a day, and staying warmer!
Trying to heat all the duct work and getting it to where you need can be a challenge with central furnace.

Reactions: chken
The landlord's HVAC tech located the ProPain furnace in the attic. It explains why the snow would melt VERY fast off the roof...cuz clearly, the furnace has a problem with incontinence. I'm guessing half the heat never even made it to the output ducts in the rooms (ceiling mounted).

The pellet stove (aka "God of Fire"), is smack dab in the center of the skool house...right where the wood stove was since 1835, and the kids had to feed it wood (or their bones) to stay warm. Now there is nearly zero roof-top melt. No more ice dams, icicles and such. All gone.

Reactions: chken

Yeah....ah.....not so much. I have too many friends and relatives who have greatly abbreviated or altered lives do to slipping on ice.

I'm picturing myself sitting outside my 1968 Silver AirStream Trailer in the middle of the Nevada desert...wearing a crazy hat...with my crazy dog at my side...and we both are yelling at rattle snakes...and we are warm.

The landlord's HVAC tech located the ProPain furnace in the attic. It explains why the snow would melt VERY fast off the roof...cuz clearly, the furnace has a problem with incontinence. I'm guessing half the heat never even made it to the output ducts in the rooms (ceiling mounted).

The pellet stove (aka "God of Fire"), is smack dab in the center of the skool house...right where the wood stove was since 1835, and the kids had to feed it wood (or their bones) to stay warm. Now there is nearly zero roof-top melt. No more ice dams, icicles and such. All gone.
Well, it sounds like an all-around good deal then if you not only saved money, are warmer, but also have fewer roof issues.

Yeah....ah.....not so much. I have too many friends and relatives who have greatly abbreviated or altered lives do to slipping on ice.

I'm picturing myself sitting outside my 1968 Silver AirStream Trailer in the middle of the Nevada desert...wearing a crazy hat...with my crazy dog at my side...and we both are yelling at rattle snakes...and we are warm.
I don't know, the Nevada high desert gets snow and kind of a winter spell. The low you dehydrate, here are bleached animal bones there for a reason. Been in the Reno Carson area in Sept. The sun is hot, intense even if the temp is 70. Visit first !!

That's probably direct vent gas pipe. Not for pellets!
This^^
You cant plumb liquid fuel to solid fuel or vise versa for chimney or vents.

Status
Not open for further replies.