Vermont Casting Encore vs Hearthstone Green Mountain 60. Any thoughts on the Hearthstone stove?

Mikedauby

Oct 6, 2020
Maine
Wife and I decided its time to replace our 30 year od Consolidated Dutchwest stove, and while I know almost anything produced today is going to be better, I figured I would ask to see if anyone had thoughts on the Hearthstone Green Mountain 60. We are debating between that and a Vermont Castings Encore.

On paper, to me anyway, the GM60 beats the Encore in just about every way. A slightly smaller burn box, equal efficiency, cleaner burns, and longer burn times (although I do prefer the ash drawer of the Encore), but what makes me hesitate is I can't really find any reviews on that stove, as it seems as if it a new model last year. And while they have had the GM80 for a few years (a big complaint is that they have a hard time keeping the draft going), the GM60 is still a new model I am not one to be a bit of a guinea pig for a new model.

Any thoughts on the GM60 being the choice over the Encore? Both are prices pretty similarly, so that won't be much of a deciding factor for me.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
As you've noted, the GM60 is a relatively new stove. So far the reviews have been positive. Weak draft is not the fault of the stove. That is a factor of the flue system and potentially the house if the stove is in a negative pressure zone.

Ericgio87

Aug 22, 2020
Coventry, CT
I'm completely new to wood burning and stoves myself, so I'm still trying to learn everything. I recently had a wood stove install and purchased the VC Dauntless 2020. I haven't gotten the 11 hour burn times yet, I'm still trying to get used to getting a good burn and setting the right air temp controls etc. I like the ash pan and the top loading features, and it looks pretty. However, I've seen a few videos on theGM60 burn time, and I have slight buyers remorse that I should have gone with it over the Dauntless; 16 hour burn times would be great. Both for savings on wood, and because I work an hour away from the house. But I suppose if I get up to speed on burning this dauntless well...I'll be happy with it.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I'm completely new to wood burning and stoves myself, so I'm still trying to learn everything. I recently had a wood stove install and purchased the VC Dauntless 2020. I haven't gotten the 11 hour burn times yet, I'm still trying to get used to getting a good burn and setting the right air temp controls etc. I like the ash pan and the top loading features, and it looks pretty. However, I've seen a few videos on theGM60 burn time, and I have slight buyers remorse that I should have gone with it over the Dauntless; 16 hour burn times would be great. Both for savings on wood, and because I work an hour away from the house. But I suppose if I get up to speed on burning this dauntless well...I'll be happy with it.
This stove is new this year. Our own Corie worked on this model's design. Keep us posted on your progress and what you learn.

Mikedauby

Oct 6, 2020
Maine
Thanks for the insight.. I went with the GM60 over the VC.. Looking at it, it has a bit higher burn time, and burns a bit more efficient and cleaner. Reviews of all their other stoves, plus the use of soapstone in it also pushed us in that direction. I will say though, I will miss the ash pan (I think all stoves should have them), so that will take a bit to get used to, and I wish it was a top loader. I have never had one, but after talking to people and reading, it just seems to be a slick way to fill the stove..

Either way, the new stove will be installed in the middle of December, and can't wait to see how it works..

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I have owned a top loader. It's a nice feature, but creates some design issues that can get complex. Honestly, I don't miss it at all. I think you will be happy with your choice.

Reactions: webby3650

Mikedauby

Oct 6, 2020
Maine
I have never owned one, but just seemed like a "neat" feature. Really, the one reason I wanted it was because I have a 16 month old running around, and with a top loader, we could use a tad smaller child gate around the stove since I won't need to open a door. But really, if thats my main reason, it isn't something that I "NEED"...

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Teach the child - owweee, HOT! Most learn this lesson quickly and give a hot stove wide berth.

Reactions: webby3650

Mikedauby

Oct 6, 2020
Maine
100% the plan, but accidents happen, and with 2 dogs and kid running around the house, trips and spills are bound to happen. For $200 for a good gate, I would rather be safe than sorry..

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
Our biggest issue ended up being the cats. Both are total heat sponges. One loves the stove so much that he has singed his tail on it a couple times.

Mikedauby

Oct 6, 2020
Maine
I have a dog that will lay under the current stove (partial), and her legs touch the legs of the heater.. No idea how she hasn't been singed yet, but she seems to live it and is quite hot to the touch when she gets up..