Vermont Casting Encore vs Hearthstone Green Mountain 60. Any thoughts on the Hearthstone stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mikedauby

Oct 6, 2020
Maine
Wife and I decided its time to replace our 30 year od Consolidated Dutchwest stove, and while I know almost anything produced today is going to be better, I figured I would ask to see if anyone had thoughts on the Hearthstone Green Mountain 60. We are debating between that and a Vermont Castings Encore.

On paper, to me anyway, the GM60 beats the Encore in just about every way. A slightly smaller burn box, equal efficiency, cleaner burns, and longer burn times (although I do prefer the ash drawer of the Encore), but what makes me hesitate is I can't really find any reviews on that stove, as it seems as if it a new model last year. And while they have had the GM80 for a few years (a big complaint is that they have a hard time keeping the draft going), the GM60 is still a new model I am not one to be a bit of a guinea pig for a new model.

Any thoughts on the GM60 being the choice over the Encore? Both are prices pretty similarly, so that won't be much of a deciding factor for me.

As you've noted, the GM60 is a relatively new stove. So far the reviews have been positive. Weak draft is not the fault of the stove. That is a factor of the flue system and potentially the house if the stove is in a negative pressure zone.

Reactions: Shrewboy
I'm completely new to wood burning and stoves myself, so I'm still trying to learn everything. I recently had a wood stove install and purchased the VC Dauntless 2020. I haven't gotten the 11 hour burn times yet, I'm still trying to get used to getting a good burn and setting the right air temp controls etc. I like the ash pan and the top loading features, and it looks pretty. However, I've seen a few videos on theGM60 burn time, and I have slight buyers remorse that I should have gone with it over the Dauntless; 16 hour burn times would be great. Both for savings on wood, and because I work an hour away from the house. But I suppose if I get up to speed on burning this dauntless well...I'll be happy with it.

Reactions: Jones93
I'm completely new to wood burning and stoves myself, so I'm still trying to learn everything. I recently had a wood stove install and purchased the VC Dauntless 2020. I haven't gotten the 11 hour burn times yet, I'm still trying to get used to getting a good burn and setting the right air temp controls etc. I like the ash pan and the top loading features, and it looks pretty. However, I've seen a few videos on theGM60 burn time, and I have slight buyers remorse that I should have gone with it over the Dauntless; 16 hour burn times would be great. Both for savings on wood, and because I work an hour away from the house. But I suppose if I get up to speed on burning this dauntless well...I'll be happy with it.
This stove is new this year. Our own Corie worked on this model's design. Keep us posted on your progress and what you learn.

Thanks for the insight.. I went with the GM60 over the VC.. Looking at it, it has a bit higher burn time, and burns a bit more efficient and cleaner. Reviews of all their other stoves, plus the use of soapstone in it also pushed us in that direction. I will say though, I will miss the ash pan (I think all stoves should have them), so that will take a bit to get used to, and I wish it was a top loader. I have never had one, but after talking to people and reading, it just seems to be a slick way to fill the stove..

Either way, the new stove will be installed in the middle of December, and can't wait to see how it works..

I have owned a top loader. It's a nice feature, but creates some design issues that can get complex. Honestly, I don't miss it at all. I think you will be happy with your choice.

Reactions: webby3650
I have never owned one, but just seemed like a "neat" feature. Really, the one reason I wanted it was because I have a 16 month old running around, and with a top loader, we could use a tad smaller child gate around the stove since I won't need to open a door. But really, if thats my main reason, it isn't something that I "NEED"...

Teach the child - owweee, HOT! Most learn this lesson quickly and give a hot stove wide berth.

100% the plan, but accidents happen, and with 2 dogs and kid running around the house, trips and spills are bound to happen. For $200 for a good gate, I would rather be safe than sorry..

Our biggest issue ended up being the cats. Both are total heat sponges. One loves the stove so much that he has singed his tail on it a couple times.

Reactions: rayfield
I have a dog that will lay under the current stove (partial), and her legs touch the legs of the heater.. No idea how she hasn't been singed yet, but she seems to live it and is quite hot to the touch when she gets up..

Green Mountain 60 - Once you baby this stove to get it going, this stove puts out a lot of heat.

But also...A TON OF SMOKE. It's not a wood moisture thing. It's not a draft thing. We have enough pipe. it's just a smoker.

If you don't want smoke in your house, then I would suggest against this stove. No matter what, when you open the door, the design of the baffle pulls smoke up to the front of the window, and it escapes in to your house. I am so so so disappointed in this stove.

We have an older hearthstone which is a champ, but this new design, well she's not so good. Hard to get going even with solid draft, and good luck opening the door.

Green Mountain 60 - Once you baby this stove to get it going, this stove puts out a lot of heat.

But also...A TON OF SMOKE. It's not a wood moisture thing. It's not a draft thing. We have enough pipe. it's just a smoker.

If you don't want smoke in your house, then I would suggest against this stove. No matter what, when you open the door, the design of the baffle pulls smoke up to the front of the window, and it escapes in to your house. I am so so so disappointed in this stove.

We have an older hearthstone which is a champ, but this new design, well she's not so good. Hard to get going even with solid draft, and good luck opening the door.
Please stop raiding every thread on the GM60 to gripe about this stove. That is against forum rules. The problem most likely is not the stove, but without input on the installation in your original thread this is a dead end. Based on other postings, the draft may not be so solid.

That certainly is a bummer, but hopefully mine is going to be different (don't all users say that?). My stove has been ordered, am locked into that model, and set to be installed in a weeks time, so fingers crossed my set up doesn't dump smoke into the house.. Thankfully, the installers are pretty good at what they do and stand behind their work/products, so if there is a problem, hopefully they can help to rectify it.. Worst case scenario, I dump the stove and go a different direction.. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that!

That certainly is a bummer, but hopefully mine is going to be different (don't all users say that?). My stove has been ordered, am locked into that model, and set to be installed in a weeks time, so fingers crossed my set up doesn't dump smoke into the house.. Thankfully, the installers are pretty good at what they do and stand behind their work/products, so if there is a problem, hopefully they can help to rectify it.. Worst case scenario, I dump the stove and go a different direction.. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that!

you're not alone @Mikedauby
My GM60 is sitting in my garage, to be installed in month or two. hopefully we make out better. I think Cabinwarmer has made out well with his, and Nigel is happy with his GM40. So hopefully it's not an inherent stove issue - we'll find out i guess!

you're not alone @Mikedauby
My GM60 is sitting in my garage, to be installed in month or two. hopefully we make out better. I think Cabinwarmer has made out well with his, and Nigel is happy with his GM40. So hopefully it's not an inherent stove issue - we'll find out i guess!

With everything I read, while this is a new stove, other sizes have been available for a while, and people seem to happy with them. I assumed they just took the same technology and made the stove a different size than the others.. I can't image in doing that, they lost all the positive attributes with it.. But, I am not a stove manufacturer or an engineer, so what do I know? :)

As noted, the issues are most likely with either the setup or perhaps the operator. The poster hasn't responded to direct questions in the original thread that would have helped diagnose the problem. It could be as simple as forgetting to open the air and bypass in advance of opening the stove door. Generally, the reports have been favorable for the GreenMountain line of stoves.

As noted, the issues are most likely with either the setup or perhaps the operator.

I went through and saw a bunch of his posts, and am taking it with a grain of salt, especially since its always just been blasting the stove with no evidence other than "I know what I am doing", but stranger things have happened? Plus, as I do work in manufacturing, there are some duds that do come off the line. Not everything can be 100% perfect and up to spec. The hope is that they never make it to the end consumer, but when you are making XXX of something, one is bound to be off. Maybe he got that one bum stove?

When I was a grumbling young apprentice my boss would reply, "A poor worker always blames his tools".

I have a deposit down on a VC Encore and I'm nervous because this is a big investment for me.

Replacing a 16yo side loader that has required almost no maintenance...well, it should have been maintained, but...here we are with refractory bits needed and obsolete parts.

Please convince me that I'm doing the right thing and feel free to provide any tips on getting the most out of this stove.

The lead time on most stoves is about 4 months so I feel lucky to have found this one in stock in my local area.

Reactions: gthomas785
I have a deposit down on a VC Encore and I'm nervous because this is a big investment for me.

Replacing a 16yo side loader that has required almost no maintenance...well, it should have been maintained, but...here we are with refractory bits needed and obsolete parts.

Please convince me that I'm doing the right thing and feel free to provide any tips on getting the most out of this stove.

The lead time on most stoves is about 4 months so I feel lucky to have found this one in stock in my local area.
I have the Encore 2040 and love it. There is a learning curve to run it optimally like every new stove out there but I've run mine 24/7 this winter and last, and it hasn't needed anything but cleaning. It seems like VC fixed most of the past manufacturing issues and made a solid stove. Granted, it is less than 2 years old so we'll see how it holds up.

I have the Encore 2040 and love it. There is a learning curve to run it optimally like every new stove out there but I've run mine 24/7 this winter and last, and it hasn't needed anything but cleaning. It seems like VC fixed most of the past manufacturing issues and made a solid stove. Granted, it is less than 2 years old so we'll see how it holds up.
This is great news. What kind of burn time are you getting with decently seasoned wood?

This is great news. What kind of burn time are you getting with decently seasoned wood?

If I turn it all the way down I can get 12 hours and have enough coals to relight. Usually that is not enough heat for my drafty old house so I turn it down about 3/4 and reload on an 8 hour schedule.

I’m in my 2nd season with our Green Mountain 60. We absolutely LOVE this stove! Can easily get 15hr burn times, it can probably do more, we just don’t try that hard (I’m an arborist and have plenty of wood). My wife was against a wood stove our entire marriage, she finally caved because I promised her that it would look and feel like a fireplace and not a stove. We love the large viewing glass, and also love the way the stove cleans the glass itself.

Attachments

• F3CD85EC-1E4E-4CA9-A4D0-A7D94B08FB02.jpeg
    F3CD85EC-1E4E-4CA9-A4D0-A7D94B08FB02.jpeg
    104 KB · Views: 553