Vermont Casting Encore vs Hearthstone Green Mountain 60. Any thoughts on the Hearthstone stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’m in my 2nd season with our Green Mountain 60. We absolutely LOVE this stove! Can easily get 15hr burn times, it can probably do more, we just don’t try that hard (I’m an arborist and have plenty of wood). My wife was against a wood stove our entire marriage, she finally caved because I promised her that it would look and feel like a fireplace and not a stove. We love the large viewing glass, and also love the way the stove cleans the glass itself.
I like your setup, looks really nice.

Reactions: DandL2311
I have owned a top loader. It's a nice feature, but creates some design issues that can get complex. Honestly, I don't miss it at all. I think you will be happy with your choice.
I'm moving and not taking my Hearthstone and the only "local" wood stove dealer sells VC so I am looking at the Encore. I've only owned front loaders and am wondering what kind of design issues should I expect with a top loader?

If the stove has good draft then it should perform well. If not, it can be cranky. The main issue with the stove will be the life of the combustion package. There is a VC owners thread in the forum that should have lots of helpful advice.