Vermont Castings - Aspen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenDawg

Dec 14, 2014
maryland
Just wondering who else out there has this stove and what their experience is. As small as it is I love this stove! Can actually get a slow burning fire that will last for 6 or more hours. I bought this stove about 12 or so years ago and my understanding is that Vermont Castings are no longer made in Vermont. That's a bummer!The stoves that I have seen at our local hearth and home store look plain and generic compared to the detailed designs in mine. I love this stove and am glad to know the care that went into making it. I've already moved it from one home to my next, and don't think I would ever want to be without it.

Would love to know what anyone else's experience is with this make and model?

This one never took off well, it seemed to have problems with the secondary rack standing up. Good to hear that your stove is doing well. It is a handsome little stove.

AFAIK, VC stoves are still made in Randolph, Vermont. The company has been through some tough years but last October was bought by HNI Corp with headquarters in Iowa. VC's foundry (I believe) also makes castings for several well known other brands - I think Harman and Jotul are both cast by VC (somebody beat me over the head if this is incorrect). There was a time where some of their work was outsourced to China but the really great story is that the work is back where it belongs.

I also think the Aspen is a neat little stove. Might have to put one in my workshop!

AFAIK, VC stoves are still made in Randolph, Vermont. The company has been through some tough years but last October was bought by HNI Corp with headquarters in Iowa. VC's foundry (I believe) also makes castings for several well known other brands - I think Harman and Jotul are both cast by VC (somebody beat me over the head if this is incorrect). There was a time where some of their work was outsourced to China but the really great story is that the work is back where it belongs.

I also think the Aspen is a neat little stove. Might have to put one in my workshop!
I don't think Jotul stoves are cast by VC. I've heard it suspected that they cast some parts for the Jotul stoves that are made here in America. F55,F50,F45. That may be true, but I am pretty sure they aren't casting any parts for the all cast stoves.

Last edited:
VC stoves are cast at their foundry in Bethel, VT and assembled in Randolph, VT. Word is that Jotul pulled out of the deal where Bethel was doing some of their castings.

Status
Not open for further replies.