Vermont Castings Defiant 1910 - Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

silver78

May 12, 2019
Mid Atlantic USA
Hi everyone. First post on this forum. I tried looking around a bit but could not find any threads that answered my questions. Hope someone here can help.

I have a defiant 1910 that I bought new in December of 2000. I have used it every year but I don't run it full time. Instead I just fire it up when it gets really cold so perhaps 1 - 2 cords a season. It's always worked fine and I have replaced some of the gaskets over the years. However I have never opened up the catalytic converter box or done any major maintenance. I have had the flue cleaned every other year and the general feedback from the chimney sweep is that the flue is pretty clean. I am lucky enough to have a good source for red oak and I usually season it for several months myself so the fuel source is pretty clean.

Anyway I am wondering if it's time to really go through the unit and replace parts or maybe even get a new one? I read that these can be pretty expensive to maintain. Are parts still available? I'm really open to suggestions including replacing the whole unit. What do you think? Thanks for any feedback.

Welcome. The main issue with the stove is that it is complex and has a fragile refractory chamber that breaks down. Some collateral damage can occur to other parts if this is not caught. That said, some folks really like this stove, just not the people that regularly service them. That's a shame because it is a very good looking stove.

For sure it should be gone through carefully and the cat most likely is due for a cleaning at least if not a replacement. Just do it very carefully with an understanding of the fragility of the refractory chamber it resides in.

begreen thanks for the advice. I was hoping for more suggestions and details. Is there anyone here who can give me tips on how to keep the stove safe? That's my top priority. Right now I am thinking of replacing the gaskets, the cat the refractory chamber and the fire bricks. Any video or other instructions available? Thanks again

It’s possible that it just needs a good cleaning. Hopefully the chimney sweep hasn’t smashed the combustion box when cleaning.
It always surprises me when a sweep doesn’t service the stove when the chimney is cleaned, the back of that stove is just as important as cleaning the flue.

Hi Webby and thanks for the comment. I think after almost 20 years it needs more than a cleaning. I am pretty sure the gaskets need to be replaced. Also I think at least one of the fire bricks is cracked. Could the the cat and refractory chamber be good after all these years? I guess I need to pull them out for inspection.

Pull the flame shield and cat cover off, only takes a few seconds to take a look in there. Or look down through the flue collar, usually the box has fallen in, then you could just order All the stuff before you even tear it apart.

Hi Webby and thanks for the comment. I think after almost 20 years it needs more than a cleaning. I am pretty sure the gaskets need to be replaced. Also I think at least one of the fire bricks is cracked. Could the the cat and refractory chamber be good after all these years? I guess I need to pull them out for inspection.
The only reason I say it may just need cleaning is because you say it hasn’t been used full time.

The only reason I say it may just need cleaning is because you say it hasn’t been used full time.

Webby - Looks like you are right. See pics below. Looks like the cat fire box is not all collapsed. Also included a couple of pics of the whole stove. What do you think?

glC9YYx.jpg

T1b12Vb.jpg

Vfx5xYy.jpg

FQRB1yq.jpg

Reactions: webby3650
Overall it looks to be in pretty nice condition. The not much use report seems honest.

silver, did you come over here from 24 hour campfire?

I am the one on the campfire who recommended that you come over here.