Vermont Castings Defiant Encore 2190 Flue Collar question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The stove is the big one . I don’t remember the number but I just bought it in October of 2023.
I made a mistake there too.
I think it’s too big for the room /house and that coupled with a run away air system makes the house unbearably hot.
I have to open doors to the outside to let cool air in.
So , the answer to “what is getting hot “ is all

It could be the draft is too strong. Is there a key damper on the stovepipe to tame it down?

There is not .
I was wondering about those .
I think I actually have too much draft or draw or whatever.
I guess it would be simple enough to get one and try it .
Could you please suggest How hi up the single wall pipe should it be .
- from the top of the stove

It usually is placed about 12 - 18" above the stovetop.

Ordered one .
Thanks for the suggestion.
I just can’t believe the stove wasn’t made right .
This would be a perfect answer.
Thanks .
I will be sure to let you know the results

I can’t believe how tricky it is to get the spring amd damper in the pipe correctly!’
I got it done and lit a fire and it is more controlled than before , but I’m still not able to get it to run low.
I took a cigarette and held it down by the ash pan door and it looked like it was sucking the smoke in from over the top of the door.
Being as all the gaskets are new , I guess I’ll figure out how to adjust the new roller latches .
Is there any way that VC is going to give me the time of day if i ask for help?
The eBay seller I paid has no answer at all….
Crickets .
I’m probably on my own , but thought I’d ask

The basics are always the way .
I did a dollar bill test on the ash pan door and the entire bottom door to stove seal was not good
Bill pulled right through.
Apparently this is common because there is a utube video that is re commended in the owners manual about how to adjust the door
I did it and did it and the best I could get is some resistance
I think it’s going to need the extra gasket underneath trick not what I was hoping for 4800 dollars ago.
It did finally become controllable and I actually had coals in the morning .
Sure is a big stove . Mine is a Defiant model 1975 cat C.
Thanks for the advice about putting the dampener in the stove pipe .
I think it’s all part of the solution.
Door glass sure gets black when I turn it down .