Vermont Castings Defiant Flexburn 1975C problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wilson1970

Nov 23, 2020
Netherlands
Five years ago we purchased a Vermont Defiant. After years of enjoying it, the stove now burns less well. In the non-catalytic mode, the heater always fired better than in the catalytic mode, but now there is no difference anymore and it seems the stove is only burning in catalytic mode (although the damper is open). In other words: there is no difference in both positions. What could be the issue here? Kind regards, Michiel, Netherlands.

PS: I also noticed some gaskets hanging out of the damper housing (please see screenshot). How bad is this?

Attachments

• screenshot defiant.png
    screenshot defiant.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 280
Five years ago we purchased a Vermont Defiant. After years of enjoying it, the stove now burns less well. In the non-catalytic mode, the heater always fired better than in the catalytic mode, but now there is no difference anymore and it seems the stove is only burning in catalytic mode (although the damper is open). In other words: there is no difference in both positions. What could be the issue here? Kind regards, Michiel, Netherlands.

Hello
My Defiant flexburn does not burn as well as my older Defiant did.
I extended my chimmney in height by 1 section to try to bring more heat out of it.
I would definately replace those gaskets

Can you describe bit more how the fire behaves in each mode. That gasket, try pushing it back in for now. But be ready to replace it after the season.

Thanks for the reply. When I start the fire (of course with the damper open) all goes well with kindling wood & paper, but after a while big (dry) logs just won't light up, even with the damper open. Before this there I could always create a big fire and heat up just to the temperature was high enough to close the damper. And the chimney is swiped a few months ago...

Is there any way you can test the moisture of your wood? Sounds wet wood to me.

18% on a freshly split log face is good. If your fire dies in a bypass mode, the only reason i see is wet wood or some sort of partial chimney blockage that prevents a good draft. On a side note, what is the condition of the cat?

It looks like you are not burning in cat mode much. If you did it would be more of a light grey colour. You should start thinking of purchasing a replacement cat for the next season maybe.

Toasty

Attachments

• 20201206_205129.jpg
    20201206_205129.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 235