Vermont castings DV nat gas burner only partially lights

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AFH

Oct 18, 2020
Arkansas
Bought a new Intrepid from Obadiah online dealer. Got an HVAC guy to hook it up. Two of the gas ports furthest from the gas source do not light on their own. Can light w/ lighter . Same gas line was hooked up to VC Radiance and all worked fine but was to much heat for my space. I discovered this after the HVAC guy left. Adjusting flame makes no difference. Cant see removing glass to hand light LOL every time. Recd this stove end last winter but didnt hook up until now. Please help !

Might have something to do with needing restriction in the system, if the DV chimney produces a good draft , sometimes slowing that air flow down can encourage the flames to slow down and spread across the burner more easily. The additional restrictor should only be needed for vertically vented systems though, according to the manual.

Although I have found that lightly shredding some rockwool embers over the burner can help carry ignition over to those ports that aren't lighting on their own, with the rest of the ports. Provides a nice glow as well.

Might have something to do with needing restriction in the system, if the DV chimney produces a good draft , sometimes slowing that air flow down can encourage the flames to slow down and spread across the burner more easily. The additional restrictor should only be needed for vertically vented systems though, according to the manual.

Although I have found that lightly shredding some rockwool embers over the burner can help carry ignition over to those ports that aren't lighting on their own, with the rest of the ports. Provides a nice glow as well.
This ^ and make sure the air shutter is in the proper setting.