Vermont Castings Encore glass gets black

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarver141b

Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2009
Western WA
The glass on my Encore after an overnight burn is black. This happens with the damper open or closed. I have a Cat and the wood has been split and stored since March 2008. I shortened my 8" chimney by 3 feet, it is now 14 feet from the stove, could this be the problem?
Kevin

If nothing else has changed, that would be a good clue. The Encores always did a nice job of keeping the glass clean. You may want to check the door gaskets as well. If I remember correctly some of the older Encores had double glass panels and strange glass gaskets. Air leaking around the door/glass area can interrupt the air wash

Does an Encore need an 8" chimney? Why shorten it? Shorter chimneys have less draft. Larger bore chimneys can have less draft too. Less draft can affect the air wash as does bad gaskets.

I'm guessing the 8" diameter and the short chimney are hurting your draft.... I added 3' of class A to the top of my 14' chimney by adding a 3' piece of Class A chimney at the top of the brick and mortar flue. Lining down to 6" should also keep the draft moving better.

All the best,
Mike

The Encore needs the 8" if you want to put the fire screen on. They recomend 16' of chimney for the 6". It has not been that cold here so that might be one of the problems. I have noticed that since I shortened the chimney it takes a bit more fooling around to get the fire going steady.
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.