Vermont Castings Encore Opinions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CSAngel

Jan 15, 2021
Ottawa, ON, CA
Hello everyone,

We are building a new home in the spring and will be installing a woodstove on the main floor. We really like the Vermont Castings Encore.

I've been doing some reading through threads here and there seem to be a lot of issues with the catalytic combustors overheating and breaking. Does anyone have any recent experience with the Vermon Castings stoves? Has the quality improved ?

Thanks!

Reactions: Earlnemo
I have the Encore 2040-CAT-C which I think is the latest model. The cat doesn't overheat because they eliminated the thermostatic secondary air which was causing all kinds of problems on the older models. It is a fixed secondary intake which makes it a little harder (smokier) to get the cat going but once it is up to temperature, it runs great.

I have a 2040. I am using it for my main hear source. I fined the stove not hard to use. The cat will get hot if you clean out the stove completely. I leave at least 1 inch of ash. My cat stays below 1450 and I haven't had any issues with it. the cats are not expensive anyway.. 125 Keep the stove at a reasonable temperature and you'll be fine. I get long burn times which is great, youll enjoy not having to tend to the stove all the time. Im using an 8in stove pipe as my stacks not very tall, you want to make sure you have plenty of draft. some people will tell you 5hat down draft stoves don't work well... they do.. you just need the proper draft. People will also say they are high maintenance... I dont think so.. haven't had to do much to mine, and I run it every day of the week.. zits a good choice...

Reactions: gthomas785