Vermont Castings Griddle Top - rusty ring/water mark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Llilith

Jul 29, 2023
Portland, Oregon
We've got a new VC Dauntless and I've already messed it up. I set a vase of flowers on the griddle top since we aren't using the stove just yet. I moved the vase today and I'll be damned if there isn't a rusty ring where the vase was!I've tried to clean with a damp rag, vinegar, baking soda, and nothing works. Any ideas on how to remove it? The griddle top is brushed steel, I think. Does anyone know how to remove the ring?

The bright side is that this isn't my stove. The installer put it in and within 30 minutes of him leaving I noticed a bunch of large chips in the porcelain that had been painted over - the paint wasn't even dry and had a thumb print in it! Pretty pissed off he thought that would fly. He didn't even tell me, but admitted it when I texted him. So the dealer has ordered a new stove that will be here next month. It's not a huge deal if I can't get these marks off but I'd like to if I can. Also, I've learned my lesson about setting anything on there.