Vermont Castings Montpelier - leveling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

asebasti

Jan 2, 2017
Massachusetts
New to the forum. Having trouble finding info about how to level a Montpelier insert on the general Internet. Put mine in about 3-4 years ago. The other day went to turn down the blower fan and could not get the louvre open. Had to lift up the insert while my wife pulled it open. I'm figuring that the stove has settled with the heating and cooling and I just need to raise up the front a tad to get some clearance under the louvre between the hearth. This sound about right? I looked at the manual and it references leveling screws but there is no diagram of them showing exactly where to access them. Assuming they are behind the louvre.

Can anyone confirm or post a picture?

Thanks
Art

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi - you'll need to take off the louvre door/ ash shelf assembly. Open the doors, and there's 2 screws under the shelf about 3 inches from the hinge. Once off, the leveling screws will be obvious.

The doors are in cast iron frame. I don't think it's possible that the assembly can get out of square, but I've been wrong before!

Good luck-
Gabe

Hi - you'll need to take off the louvre door/ ash shelf assembly. Open the doors, and there's 2 screws under the shelf about 3 inches from the hinge. Once off, the leveling screws will be obvious.

The doors are in cast iron frame. I don't think it's possible that the assembly can get out of square, but I've been wrong before!

Good luck-
Gabe
Thanks. I'll give this a try. To your point the door isn't out of square, I was assuming that the leveling screws were for front to back leveling versus side to side. I need more clearance under the louvre door so that I can open it easily. Right now the bottom of it rubs against the hearth and makes it near impossible to open unless you lift up the stove while someone opens the door.

Asebasti...I had the same problem a couple of years ago on my Montepelier. One of the louvres kept hitting the brick and I couldn't open it. The problem was in the hinge of the louvre. The louvre was sloppy and I could lift it up and down. There are upper and lower pins on the hinge, held in place by two corresponding screws. One of the pins had shifted. I loosened the screw and moved the pin around, tightened the screw and all was well again. It was a bit of challenge to get things in the right position, but eventually I got it. Hope that helps.